Re: Box Keels

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 2 2:49 PM
      Very interesting Fred,

      My heritage is Scandinavian, yet a lot of us seem drawn to the Adriatic
      area as an ideal environment to dream about. Mostly maybe the Med
      climate? Sailing all year? That area is much like the Baltic without the
      winters:-) Not to mention lower taxes and delectable cuisine and wines.

      I like the Alaskan layout with the sleeping cabins at each end (each
      with it's own porta-potti:) and a communal galley between, making it
      great for two couples or family with two kids, or a couple with
      in-laws:-) Of course a BBQ under the awning. The diesel allows for
      refridgeration even if a 12v cooler. Plain white with work-boat finish.
      Maybe an open slot overhead in the pilot-house for to allow the Adriatic
      breezes to enter. And fresh produce readily available.

      The heck with Alaska!

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Fred Schumacher <fredschum@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM, prairiedog2332 arvent@... wrote:
      >

      > > Fred,
      > >
      > > Yes, I guess you forgot the word "rudder" following larger.
      > >

      > Yes, I forgot to say larger rudder. I would think a more powerful
      rudder
      > would be needed since the keel has no drag, and it would be harder to
      turn
      > that deeply immersed forefoot.
      >
      > I like the rig of the Alaskan Motorsailer too. Everything can be
      handled
      > from inside the pilothouse. It would make a good "condo" boat as you
      say.
      > These boxy boats have so much more usable space on less length, width,
      and
      > draft than conventional sailboats. Alaskan Motorsailer would work well
      in
      > the Adriatic. You could even put a glass plate into the bottom for
      looking
      > through that clear blue water.
      >
      > My family are German-Hungarians from Yugoslavia, and we all speak
      > Serbo-Croatian. Back during the last Balkan War in the 1990s I was
      thinking
      > of a way to help my cousins back there. Since my father had a cousin
      on the
      > island of Rab, I seriously considered the idea of starting a Bolger
      boat
      > building business. I was really interested in Super Brick, as a
      floating
      > condo, and got the plans. Unfortunately, I ran into a string of bad
      years
      > farming and couldn't develop the funds to start anything in that line.
      >
      > fred s.

    • mike
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 2 6:08 PM
        Great to have the weight down low,but that's the bilge... where that
        inevitable water WILL eventually go, flooding engine/electrical !!
        Better used for tanks imho