Re: [bolger] Re: Isometric of Bolger's 1 Man live-aboard concept.

  • Fred Schumacher
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2010
      On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Bruce Hallman <hallman@...> wrote:

      One of the benefits I get from modeling a whole bunch of Bolger
      boats, is that I sometimes get glimpses into the thought process of
      PCB and PB&F

      Bruce,

      I want you to know how much I look forward to every new model you post. They're fascinating, and I think all of us here appreciate what you are doing.

      If the AS-29 was reconfigured where the hull bottom was
      to be stepped with a box keel, the biggest thing that would change
      would be the amount of ballast.

      That's exactly right. A box keel is a submerged body, and even a narrow one displaces a lot of water. Total displacement goes up, even with the main hull floating higher, and more ballast would need to be added. The benefit of the box keel is that that ballast can be inexpensive steel plate which also protects the bottom and is located at the lowest possible point on the boat, lowering the center of gravity.

      fred s.