Re: [bolger] Re: bobcat--advice? plans?

  • Jay Bazuzi
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2010
      I'm on the verge of getting rid of my Bobcat, because I don't have time for it, but maybe if I could optimize things, I would sail it more.

      I keep my sail attached to the gaff and boom.

      I keep the 4 lines going aloft in on the mast. The ends get paired & figure-8 knots, so they don't get lost. Then the bundle is clove-hitched to the mast, to keep things neat.

      I raise the mast, then attach the lines to the sail & run them through the right blocks, etc.

      I'm thinking about removing the lazy jack and the topping lift. They're rarely useful to me. A single gasket is enough to keep the cockpit clear when I drop the sail.  Having only two lines aloft is way less work, since they won't tangle with each other.

      I have a cover that is meant to go on when the boat is rigged, so it can be parked next to a boat ramp. It would be really convenient. As it is, I never use that cover.

      When I get home, I hang the mast and the spars/sail bundle up in my garage, to keep them out of the sun. That's another delay.

      -J

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM, robertchamberland <chamberlands@...> wrote:

      I kept the sail permanently on the spars also all the halliards and sheets. I made a long bag that everything would fit in. I also had a bag for the mast. When launching I rove all the halliards, set the boom and gaff on the boat with all the hoops lined up over the HOLE and kept them in line with a 4" piece of PVC then raised the mast and dropped it down the hole. It helps to have someone hold this assembly so it doesn't roll off the boat. I sometimes got the halliards lined up wrong but it was still a quick enough process. I'll post a picture if I can figure how.
      Bob Chamberland

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dkp390" <dkp390@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Another potential efficiency improvement would be better gear storage onboard. I also found myself moving loads of stuff form the boat to the tow vehicle at home, then back at launching; reverse and repeat again for hauling out and returning home. With gear properly stowed in and lashed to the boat it could be left there while on the road. First here should be attachments for the floorboards, oars and ground tackle. Then gear tie-downs for items stowed forward under the deck and a cover for the storage space aft.
      >
      > Reefing control lines would also be a sensible improvement. It was windy while setting up so I tied in a reef before launching, but it would be difficult underway when needed most, and I even had a bit of trouble just shaking it out as the wind faded. The problem is that it is hard to reach the aft end of the boom and the sail fills as I hold onto it while tying or untying the individual reef ties. I see this additional rigging as a valuable use of setup time saved elsewhere. I will also use a proper reef knot with a loop in it on the reefpoint sail ties, rather than a square knot, to make it easy to undo.
      >
      > Most of these ideas are functional improvements but I also want to keep my boat looking good.  Paint and varnish; that's another story though. Most areas got primer and only one coat without annual repainting. The sand used as non-slip surface on deck is too rough, so it needs additional coats of paint. A minimum number of varnish coats were used on brightwork where for best results more is best.
      >
      > To help organize and prioritize all this work,  I think it best to take a trip to the lake for another afternoon sail or two.
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bazuzi <jay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It takes me a while to prep the boat before I leave the house, then rig at
      > > the boat ramp, then launch, then park, then raise sail & cast off.
      > > -J
      > >

      > > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:38 AM, dkp390 <dkp390@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > >There is an article called "The
      > > > catboat and how to sail her" available from the catboat association (
      > > > http://www.catboats.org/pubs.php) recommended with some details you will
      > > > want to know about and experiment with.
      > > > strong gusts. It responds well to

      > > > been abandoned. The hull is sheathed with glass (in polyester, I think)
      > > > inside and out, and is sound. The bow deck/side decks are sheathed, and are
      > > > sound except where the mast is stepped through the deck. The seat and
      > > > coamings are shot, and will have to be replaced, along with the rudder and
      > > > transom. The big problem is the centerboard trunk, which looks like it will
      > > > have to be replaced. I have always admired the look of these little cats.
      > > > Are they decent sailors? Does anyone have a set of plans they might want
      > > > to sell/trade, which would be very helpful for rebuilding the centerboard
      > > > trunk and the other pieces that have to come out. Thanks, Sam

    • Patrick Crockett
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2010
        Jay:

        An extra 20 or 30 minutes to get on the water and an extra 20 or 30 minutes when you get home to tidy up are definitely disincentives to going out on the boat and it is worth paring the process down to the absolute essentials. However, the really big disincentive is having to drive 30 minutes or an hour to the water. If you don't live within sight of the water you need an additional incentive to get out -- a partner with whom you have arranged to go out or a club you race with (giving you a deadline and a set of days when you are expected to go out) or something like that. So -- everybody buy waterfront homes!!

        Patrick

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2010
          I love that I live close to the water. I'm Port Townsend, WA, USA. The city has water on 3 sides. There are 3 boat launches available to me, with drive times <= 5 minutes. So at least that part is quick!

          I had another thought today: what about leaving the rudder on? I take it off and stow it in the boat when the boat is on the trailer, but is that important?

          Many trailer-sailors have deep rudders, so you have to pull them out to avoid dragging on the ground. But the Bobcat's rudder is no deeper than the small skeg, so that's not an issue. It would save a  step.

          Mine came with a small electric trolling motor, which is a real pain - there's no good place on a Bobcat to put one. It has seized up, so I'm leaving it at home now, which saves another step. I guess I should leave the battery home, too.

          -J

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2010
            You want really fast? Leave the mast up and leave the boat rigged as if on a mooring. If the mast is not any higher than an 18 wheeler it will fit under bridges etc, most gas stations will be OK, just don't pull in a parking garage. Use the ubiquitous blue tarp to cover the boat and rig to keep sun, rain, and road sklutch off. Then you will be down to removing the blue tarp and launching the boat. I probably wouldn't tow it at more than 45 mph. But the windage would be a lot less than the canvas tops people frequently leave up on their runabouts when they tow them.
            Eric

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2010
              Jay:

              I totally envy you -- I'd love to live in Port Townsend!

              I used to race a one-design dinghy. There were guys who would leave their shrouds attached so all they had to do was seat the mast in the step and attach the fore-stay. Some would leave the mainsail foot rope in the boom (and roll the sail around the boom rather than fold it and put it into a bag) so they only had to thread the luff rope into the mast to raise the sail. (A lot of catamaran sailors seem to do this.) Some left the rudder attached, but it seems like a really minimal amount of time to slip the rudder's pintles into its gudgeons. Seems to me that usually the most time-consuming thing is getting the mast up -- that's where I'd focus my first time-saving efforts. And if you don't have to go far (or fast) to get from home to the water (and back), you could minimize the tie-downs for the hull and spars. When I'm trundling a half mile from a rented cottage on Ocracoke Island to the boat ramp or back, I rarely bother to tie down the mast -- I just lay it on the boat and it does just fine for the few blocks of slow island driving. In the other hand, for the two hours of highway driving from home to Ocracoke I carefully tie the mast to the boat and wrap a rope or multiple bungee cords around the sail, yard, boom, and mast to make sure the sail doesn't flap to death -- this takes 15 or 20 minutes to tie up and untie.

              Patrick

              On 09/01/2010 10:22 PM, Jay Bazuzi wrote: I love that I live close to the water. I'm Port Townsend, WA, USA. The city has water on 3 sides. There are 3 boat launches available to me, with drive times <= 5 minutes. So at least that part is quick!

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
                I took my Bobcat out today, as part of the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival sail-by. I applied as many tricks as I could think of to make launching & recovery faster & easier.

                The #1 win was from removing the topping lift and lazyjack. It's not just 50% less rigging aloft - it's also way less tangling. I didn't miss them.

                I left the rudder on (removed the tiller) and secured it with the same line that secures the stern framework that holds the spars when I'm driving.

                I have a dockline that is always attached to a cleat aft. That dockline is now the line I use to tie down the spars aft. It's not simpler, but it's fewer lines.

                Similarly, there's a bow eye with a line attached, which I now use to tie down the spars forward.

                I'm trying out using the sheet to wrap up the sail/gaff/boom. It's not less work, but I can skip the 6 separate gaskets.

                It took me about 10 minutes to launch, which I'm happy with. Recovery was a little longer, but not too bad.

                I tried leaving the "lace lines" on the gaff and boom jaws tied, and leaving the halyards attached, but that didn't work. I'd probably end up fouling something and dropping the mast.

                -J