Re: Gloucester Light Dory question

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25 6:26 AM
      > Back in the 90's I belonged to a rowing club that built one of these, we were able to get the seat rails in the way they were drawn with some struggle after the boat was taken off the mold.

      JK>>I had laminated the gunwales on my boat by the time I got around to the seat bearers and there was simply no way to get 5/4 fir to go in the holes shown in the bulkheads. I contacted Phil and he wrote that maybe the boat couldn't be built the way it was drawn. He agreed that the bearers could be made removable, so that's what I did.

      I never liked the way the seats were loose and since we didn't do the dowels through the rails as drawn, as they would have made your foot placement rather high, I was one of the few people who found the forward seat just the right length from the center frame to brace my feet(but not barefoot). Rowing single I would put a plastic "cargo box" (rubermaid action packer) in to brace my feet on.

      JK>>The seats work fine for me, and the dowel footbraces, but I wish I had made footbraces that were adjustable.

      I really think Jim Michelak's Idea for a rowing box set on the floor would work much better

      JK>> I'm pretty sure Michalak got this idea from Bolger (who might have got it from Herreshoff). Many of PCB's designs show a ditty box rowing seat and considerably predate Michalak's work. One great thing about this boat is that with stiff gunwales, you can pretty much do whatever you want to the interior for seating or stowage. I've had a lot of ideas for improvements specific to camping and fishing since I built mine.

      With the right rowers she was very fast and I thought she was very stable, standing in her never worried me.

      JK>> I was really impressed with how much faster the boat is with two rowers. It's a real kick to row that way. With two others aboard, I might stand up, but not with a light load. I'm probably just an unbalanced individual.

      Jon