Re: MDO

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 122 , Aug 22, 2010
      I would just like to add that OPP is one very good company. When you
      call their toll-free number you get a real person on the other end who
      will answer your questions. They will give you the name of the nearest
      retailer in your area and also which ones place the most orders with
      them, so you can "piggy-back" a special order through them and not have
      to wait too long.

      My 3/8" order was placed through Windsor Plywood here in Canada and
      arrived in three days.

      http://www.olypanel.com/company/contact_us.php

      There are however "cheap imitators" out there that stock off-shore MDO
      and it is not necessarily made to the same quality standards. The good
      stuff has either Made in USA or Made in Canada stamped on each panel.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon n Wanda" <windyjon@...> wrote:

      > Just trying to help. The 1/4" is not a comon run but a specal order
      that is sometimes run for arcitecual orders. In reality they will make
      anything you want for a price if order is big enough. Only a few grades
      are made in 5/16ths with 3/8ths being the thinnest in all grades. Price
      wise it is all about how it is sorced. In Portland Or. the wholesailers
      care a good stock that can be gotten through most lumber yards in a day
      but shop for price when looking for it.

      > Jon
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" arvent@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Jon,
      > >
      > > Once again I stand corrected!
      > >
      > > You are correct that the manufacturers do not claim the overlay is
      > > waterproof, but DO claim the glue joints are. Therefor sealing with
      > > epoxy seems more useful than I inferred even though they do not
      mention
      > > that - just proper sealers and paint.
      > >
      > > I was not aware 1/4" MDO was available. I "estimate" the overlay as
      > > being 1/16" roughly - basically "paper thin".
      > >
      > > Just a side-light in my experience the 3/8" cost me more per sheet
      than
      > > the 5/8" which was "on sale" at the time. I suspect it is far more
      > > widely used were weight is not that great a consideration, like in
      > > cabinetry for example so is more readily available in stock. I had
      > > place a special order and if I ordered a 10 sheet minimum there was
      no
      > > added freight. They just threw it in on top of a bulk order.
      > >
      > > Nels
      > >

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon n Wanda" <windyjon@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have used a lot of it on a 32X8' hull and it is no differant
      then
      > > working with regular plywood other then no checking. The overlay is
      not
      > > waterproof and the overlay thickness is not added to the ply
      thickness.
      > > 1/4" is 1/4" and 5/16th is 5/16th. The ply has more glue in the glue
      > > lines then even most marine ply so even unpainted it holds up well
      20
      > > years in the road sign case in the elaments. This is differant then
      in
      > > the water for a weekend or more so don't confuse the issue. My take
      is
      > > it is cheaper then marine with more glue but should be treated like
      any
      > > other plywood. When coldmolding I used laminating epoxy rather then
      > > glueing epoxy for soak in applyed with a 1/4' foam roller to alow
      for
      > > soak in. Sanding is your friend and what makes a glassed wood boat
      look
      > > like a plastic boat. How much better a complament could you get.
      With

      http://www.olypanel.com/common/pdf/Crezon%20-%202%20Step%20Prod%20LIt%20\
      \
      > > \