Re:Hollow masts

  • Samson family
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi,

      I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned bamboo yet. [Craig - are you
      asleep?]

      The original hollow spars were bamboo poles. As we all know, bamboo has
      evolved with little 'plugs' at intervals inside the hollow stem. Bamboo
      NEVER fails at a plug. Wouldn't it be a good idea, then, to investigate the
      profile of bamboo 'plugs' and try to emulate them? Nature has a LOT of
      experience!

      Bill Samson