Re: [bolger] fiberglass butt joints

  • Harry W. James
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2000
      I did mine the same way except for using a second board on top of
      the first sandwich and on each succeeding sandwich, and using
      sheetrock screws through the boards instead of brads. It squeezed
      everything nice and smooth, very clean joints.

      HJ

      Richard Spelling wrote:

      > Join the ply before cutting. Makes life easy.
      >
      > No prob doing multiple sheets of ply, both sides at the same time.
      >
      > 1) lay down particle board on the floor, big piece where the joint will be,
      > small pieces to support the ends.
      > 2) Prime plywood,
      > 3) lay wax paper, tape down
      > 4) epoxy, glass, epoxy
      > 5) ply sheet one, brads to hold in place, thickened epoxy on end
      > 6) ply sheet two, brads to hold in place, scrape off excess thichened epoxy
      > 7) epoxy, glass, epoxy
      > 8) lay wax paper
      > 9) repeat
      >
      > add cinder blocks for weight. let cook till hard and crispy.
      >
      > have done four layers, and made 24ft long pannels this way. no worries.

      _ _ _ _ _
      % Harry welshman@...
    • Jeff Gilbert
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
        Safe drawing (will help)
        Jeff Gilbert

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
          Thanks for the drawing.

          I think I've decide to cut out the parts and do them
          individually instead of in one shot for the entire
          piece of plywood. This is my first time using epoxy
          so I want to limit my risks.

          thanks.

          Bill

          --- Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@...> wrote:
          > Safe drawing (will help)
          > Jeff Gilbert

          http://invites.yahoo.com/
        • Jeff Gilbert
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2000
            bILL,
            YOU ARE WELCOME.
            nOTHING WRONG WITH BUTT STRAPS IF HIDDEN.
            OOPS CAPS
            jEFF