Re: Bolger # 630

  • daschultz2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2010
      As a fellow who had seriously considered building an Illinois, I very quickly recognized the description and then design number above. I believed the boat could be constructed for less than $100,000, following Bolger's thought to build with "semi-skilled" assistance, and careful management of the construction site, and storage of raw materials. The construction of Windermere provides some inspiration. I also considered a conversion to steel/wood something like "Lions Paw", using a tank manufacturer to build the basic hull.

      Bruce Hallman's rendering of the boat in Freeship adds additional insight. Bolger's paint scheme makes the boxy Illinois look much like a 1920s/30s Elco. Very sleek and graceful. I thought to build a cardboard model to confirm the paint scheme's effectiveness. I also laid out the center section interior on my driveway using masking tape and then wood, and drywall panels to get a better feel for the actual living space.

      If such a solitary life had become my reality, Illinois may well have become my home.

      Don