Re: Refinshing Spars?

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 11 11:41 AM
      What happened? Did it not adhere well?

      It is available in a "light" now.

      <http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=675\
      4&familyName=Sikkens+Cetol+Marine+Light>

      I am color-blind in that range of colors so that may be why I don't find
      it objectionable for it's apparently orange cast.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

      > > Cetol is an "oil based alkyd" from what I undestand. So does add
      > > the confusion!
      >
      > Cetol should NOT be applied over epoxy. Personally, I used it once on
      my
      > teak dropboards on the hatch of my C-22. I didn't like it at all.
      YMMV.

    • E Light
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 15 3:17 PM
        You're right, Nels. I forgot we were talking about putting it on top of epoxy, in order to protect it from UV rays. I guess the best approach would be to skip the epoxy if one wanted to use something like this. But since you've already got the epoxy on, this one wouldn't be such a good idea for you.

        Eric
        --------

        On 10-08-15 8:36 AM, prairiedog2332 wrote:

        Hi Eric,

        Great article and nice photos. I checked the product information at AR&T
        and it makes no mention of it containing any UV inhibitors, just a mix
        of tung and linseed oils. It is my understanding that you need UV
        inhibitors to protect the epoxy undercoat.

        http://www.tarsmell.com/letonkinois_original.html

        It also seems to rely on wood penetration to get adherence, which to is
        not going to happen over epoxy although it is mentioned all it needs is
        some tooth on the epoxy will do it. Sort of conflicting claims.

        Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, E Light <elaphimn@...> wrote:

        > Here's a thought from the Melonseeds blog: "Just say NO to varnish":

        http://web.me.com/eyeinhand/EyeInHand-Journal/Melonseeds/Entries/2010/8/\
        14_NO_Varnish.html

        > Eric
        > ------
        >
        > On 10-08-10 4:20 PM, prairiedog2332 wrote:
        > > It has been awhile since I did any "bright-finish" work or
        varnishing
        > > and there has been several advances in that kind of thing.
        > >
        > > First off, the spars were originally coated with epoxy, so I intend
        > > remove the old varnish and put on some new stuff. I am not
        interested
        > > in a high gloss finish - mainly protecting the underlying epoxy from
        UV.