Re: BWAOM: Please help identify boat on cover

  • Rob Kellock
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
      > Thanks for posting the pics. Wow, you even had one of the fabled Oz boat! Leeboards? Any report on them?

      This is what Mark, Dugong's builder, had to say about the modifications he made to the design. I've just copied it from here:

      http://www.woodworkforums.com/f32/wharram-pahi-catamarans-48537/index2.html

      "Anyways, I met someone who was building a Bolger AS29 -the builder sadly is no longer around but he did a real nice job on the AS29 and I helped him out a little and was introduced to sharpies and Bolger boats all in one go.
      The priceless little classic book "The Good Little Ship" influenced me strongly to building a sharpie and Bolger had designed a 25' Jesse Cooper which was the answer-it had standing headroom in the galley, a spacious rear cabin and a comfortable salon and good sailing for its' size. A great coastal sailing yacht. I did get rid of the daggerboard and replaced with leeboards, which sometimes are a bit cumbersome but they work quite well.
      I replaced the lugsail rig with a gaff and a bowsprite, Bolger said as long as I left the lines of the boat as is, modifications of a reasonable nature were OK. I raised the rear deck slightly and Dugong now also has -Dah de Dah-twin rudders! which work fantastically."

      "Depending on conditions the "Dugong" will cruise between 4 and 6 knots. It will go faster and I have touched 7&1/2 knots and surfed across a few bars considerably faster than that. But cruising 4-6 kts on average with faire winds.
      The leeboards do do funny things when tacking like duckwinging etc however they just tend to go CLUNK when I go about-but I acquired a new pair and they don't have the same design work on the top of them as Bolger has on the Martha Janes' leeboards and I plan to remedy this as they do do the GAAARUNCH a bit and that comes from a lot off pressure being put on the board as it goes out from the side to do its' duckwing thing."

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 10, 2010
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Kellock" <creditscorenz@...>

        > This is what Mark, Dugong's builder, had to say about the modifications he made to the design. I've just copied it from here:

        > http://www.woodworkforums.com/f32/wharram-pahi-catamarans-48537/index2.html

        Thanks for the link. So at that time, Rob, Mark had sailed his Jessie Cooper for 10 years. And he'd done some extensive coastal sailing it seems, am I correct? Qld? He mentions crossing bars, I suppose at Brunswick Heads, but also the Sandy Straights entrance is pretty impressive for this boat. He gives J C a good rap, more or less confirming what Bob Wise has written about her sea keeping, no?

        Graeme
      • c.ruzer
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
          Rob, here's a link to what I think may be another Aussie Jessie Cooper (all bets are off though). At least I think that's how it started before huge modification. Recent build. A step too far? I doubt you could build and launch a good Jessie C for much better than the asking price. Woodstove - yummy down frozen south - and Rosie would probably like it :-) but would she ever crew on a passage beyond the D'Eentrecasteaux Channel?

          I like 'pilot house' shelters for the warm north too, but, well, have a look at this boat:
          http://www.yachthub.com.au/list/ed.html?de=74629

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
            I think it is wrong for the sellers to identify Phil Bolger as the designer of this boat. There are so many things going on here that I doubt he would countenance:

            1. The pilot house
            2. The weak external dagger board
            3. The lug mizzen
            4. The centered main mast so that you can no longer access the balanced lug from the safety of the forward hatch
            5. Displacement 3300 pounds vs Jessie Cooper 6150 pounds
            6. The completely reworked interior

            Would I go to sea in this? No way. Its a houseboat not a sailboat. Even in protected waters I would be concerned whether it would be capable of self-righting from 70 degrees of heel.