RE: [bolger] Re: Hollow Mast Plug

  • Foster Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2000
      Hello Guys

      Interesting thread but HEY think simple. The simple solution has already
      been sugessted but we seem to have ran right past it.

      I've built several smallish birdsmouth spars and assisted with two really
      big ones for a 38' catamaran. In each case we only had the simplest of gear
      (a tablesaw and a roughy at that).

      You should be building a birdsmouth spar light enough so it NEEDS
      reinforcement at the partners and other points such as spreaders etc,
      otherwise it'll be too stiff. The WoodenBoat article suggests that the
      stave thickness can be very light, and I would stick to the "light" formula
      they suggest.

      DON'T try driving plugs in later, you'll go nuts trying and do a lousy job
      as the epoxy will drive out as well. You need to do a test fitup of the
      staves and plugs, the plugs must be a loose fit so the workmanship isn't at
      all critical. Make sure you taper the plugs by cutting "V's" down the ends
      ( like a reverse scarf - several books have pictures) and drill through them
      if you plan on internal halyards ( yuck - too complicated). We have often
      made our plugs as separate birdsmouths assemblies, its so easy to do. Use
      epoxy a bit thicker than normal on the plugs so it doesn't run out.

      Plaster epoxy on the whole lot and assemble.

      I'm a certified "wood butcher" and even I have made some quite nice spars by
      these methods. Incidentally the birds-mouth technique has been around for a
      long time ( I've seen it in a English book published in the 1960's) and is
      technically very very good. I would never build another spar by any other
      method now. The big spars we built for the Cat came out lighter than
      aluminun, were stiffer and have been around Cape Horn!!!

      Regards - Foster

      Southland, New Zealand