Re: [bolger] Re: Lapstrake, Single Handed Schooner-- Sue Davis?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 5, 2010
      Sue are you still out there?

      I was going through back emails and came across this one , part of a conversation that Bruce started with as lapstrake version of the single handed schooner. I had blown right by the Watertribe part.

      So how serious a contender could a Singlehanded Schooner be? You could sleep one crew at a time, you could row effectively. You could hang serious amounts of sail out off the wind in light airs. The one shortcoming would be going to windward in light going, might be able to compensate with rowing. You could maybe lighten up the scantlings with the lapstrake construction.

      There are vets of the Florida Everglades challenge on the list,maybe they could comment.

      HJ

      Could you rig a seat in the back and row?

      You can, and that's job #1 on my list for spring commissioning in a
      couple of months.  I'm hoping to enter her in the Watertribe one of
      these years.  There's just enough room to set up a sliding rowing
      seat, and you can brace your feet against bulkhead "D".  The one
      problem (other than general heaviness) is that the mainmast and
      mainmast partner prevent you from leaning back enough for good rowing
      form over a long distance -- I plan to use rowing strictly as
      auxiliary propulsion, for getting back in to the mooring area when the
      wind has died completely.

      One of these years, I may try an experiment with a yuloh....

    • Harry James