Gaff Rigged Bolger Nymph

  • KK7B
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
      A while back there was a discussion of how to do a single halyard gaff on a small boat. Here's a link to a description of my Gaff Cutter rig on a Bolger Nymph:

      http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~campbell/BolgerReport.pdf
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
        > A while back there was a discussion of how to do a single halyard gaff on a small boat. Here's a link to a description of my Gaff Cutter rig on a Bolger Nymph:
        >
        > http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~campbell/BolgerReport.pdf

        That's an interesting and certainly well-executed boat. It's got to be one of the most expensive Nymphs ever, but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. I would call it a sloop since it has a single headsail.

        Jon
      • Bill Kreamer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
          Can you tell us what loop knot you put in the bridle?
          Thanks
          - Bill

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
            The present loop knot on the bridle is an overhand trucker's hitch. It works OK on a rig this small, but I'm open to suggestions.
            Rick

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
              Thank you for the kind words. Other than the sail, she hasn't been very expensive. I scrounged a lot of stuff. Boats this small have modest forces, so most lines and fittings came from the junk box or Ace Hardware. I called it a sloop until I scrounged sail cloth for the 2nd headsail and added fittings for a 2nd forestay. She's sloop rigged in all the photos, but mast position relative to bowsprit length is about right for a small cutter.
              Rick

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography" <jon@...> wrote:

              > > A while back there was a discussion of how to do a single halyard gaff on a small boat. Here's a link to a description of my Gaff Cutter rig on a Bolger Nymph:
              > >
              > > http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~campbell/BolgerReport.pdf
              > >

              > That's an interesting and certainly well-executed boat. It's got to be one of the most expensive Nymphs ever, but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. I would call it a sloop since it has a single headsail.
              >
              > Jon

            • Bill Kreamer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                Thanks, that works for me.  You have a really really nice boat. - Bill

                The present loop knot on the bridle is an overhand trucker's hitch. It works OK on a rig this small, but I'm open to suggestions.
                Rick

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamers@...> wrote:

                > Can you tell us what loop
                knot you put in the bridle?

                _____

                href="mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com">bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of

                href="http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~campbell/BolgerReport.pdf">http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~campbell/BolgerReport.pdf

              • captreed@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Hi Rick,

                  That's some experimenting. Rig variation is something that has fascinated me for many years and I've done a lot of it.

                  You said you had thoughts about how to recover after a capsize. I turned my Nymph over on purpose to see what happened. It floated so low in the water it was not feasible to bail and reboard. I swam it to a dock and lifted it out to empty it.

                  I would suggest you try it and you might consider floatation bags or something similar.

                  Reed
                • KK7B
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                    I plan some capsize experiments toward the end of August. I used to flip her and wash her out in thigh-deep water, then lifted her up to drain the water out and hauled her back to shore. I want to get her full fully rigged on her side in the water and see how hard it is to get her upright, and whether she's possible to bail, before I make the flotation decisions. I expect the rig weighs enough that gunnels may be below the waterline when she's upright and full of water with no additional flotation. Self rescue might require striking the rig, which can be done from down in the water if hypothermia is not an issue. With the tiller lashed and the dagger down she paddles nicely in a straight line with the little paddle I keep aboard. I haven't found a good way to stow the oars while sailing.

                    I have used flotation bags, fixed and movable, and shaped foam blocks on other boats. I like flotation--on me first and always, and then on the boat.

                    Rig experiments are a lot of fun, and quick to try on a small boat. My dad had a copy of 103 Small Boat Rigs around the house, I studied every one, and have tried a bunch. Also messed around with jibs hoisted on shrouds using the main halyard, etc. I often sail windsurfing boards clew-first--that looks like a crab claw rig from shore.

                    Best Regards,

                    Rick