Re: Field Mouse

  • Joe T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2010
      Not Fieldmouse, but I built Daily May as described in Tom Hill's book, Ultralight Boatbuilding. That was my first boat, in 1986. It was a tough learning curve but it was a beauty. Wasn't particular pleased with how it paddled though. That doesn't signify much as I knew little about canoes.

      Joe T

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "clumber03" <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      > Field mouse is an 8 ft. pram. The plans were part of a plan portfolio which I purchased in 1970. This portfolio was the basis for Small Boats.
      > PCB enlarged the hull and added a keel and Birdwatcher type cabin to create Super Mouse.
      >
      > Has anyone built or heard of a Field Mouse?
      >
      > JohnT

    • prairiedog2332
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010
        SUPERMOUSE is one of my favorite designs to drool over.

        I have often visited an Icelandic community on the shores of Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba CA, and they at one time had little row boats like that to tend their nets. Except the Icelanders knew how to bent those heavy strakes around and upwards to a pointy bow. They had a shallow solid keel and just poured some concrete into the bottom. Small sprit if the onshore breeze was favorable.

        SUPERMOUSE to me has that same sweet hull form. Some lead in the keel like with MICRO, 2 hp motor and that removable topper - what a sweet safe little motorsailor - I expect would draw some attention, and be a nice overnighter for one or two.

        Could be strip-planked as well.

        Nels