Re: [bolger] Hollow mast plug

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
      Putting solid plugs in properly sized hollow mast are a good way to cause
      the mast to fail at the end of the plug. If forms a stress riser.

      The proper way to strengthen a tube it with diamond shaped patches or
      layers of fiberglass that taper from each end to the middle.

      Gordon
      Gordon Couger gcouger@...
      Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
      405 624-2855 GMT -6:00
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
        If you want to prevent crushing a diamond shaped metal plate will do a lot
        better than plug. The outer part of the mast will still crush. If you have
        crushing problems you should spread them over the mast.

        Take an broken fishing pole and epoxy a plug in it and bend it until it
        breaks. I bet you ten bucks it breaks at the end of the plug.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
          By a diamond shaped plate I mean a plate that conforms to the mast and
          tapers to a point on each end. Cut a diamond out of a piece of paper wiht
          the long axis being at least 3 times the
          narrow axis. Bend the paper so it conforms wiht the mast. Epoxy or
          rivet(in the case of an alumium mast) the patch to the mast. All the
          contact from the boom or spar should contact the metal diamond. The
          diamond shape reduces the stress risers to a minim.

          There will still be a stiff spot in the mast but the stress will be
          distributed along the edge of the diamond patch and will be much less
          likely a place for the mast to break.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
            A couple of thoughts...

            Water noodle might work pretty good. Say about a six inch section.

            "Thickened epoxy" has to be thin enough to flow around the plug. Will add
            wood flour to get bulk, but still want it pretty watery.

            Richard Spelling, http://www.spellingbusiness.com/boats
            From the muddy waters of Oklahoma

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
              Why not push a sponge in first, add plug, then pour a cup of liquid on top?

              Gregg Carlson

            • lm2
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
                I seem to have come in on the end of this thread and seemed to have missed
                the initial post regarding the breakage ...However I would advise against
                running halyards inside a wooden mast.

                A great source for wooden mast building for me has been Reull Parkers
                chapter in "The New Cold Molded Boatbuilding" great way to build a mast and
                bombproof as well.

                Bob Wise
                St Thomas USVI
              • Richard Spelling
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
                  I would be concerned with the liquid flowing all the way down to the sponge,
                  I'd have to make it awful thin, or leave a pretty good gap.

                  If I start at the bottom, then when the epoxy comes out around the top of
                  the plug, I know I've got good coverage...

                  Maybe I should glue a short plug, say 4 inches or so, next to the
                  sponge/noodle first, let it cure, then glue in the main? I could then apply
                  a LOT of presure to make the epoxy flow around the main plug...

                  Wonder if there is any reason I couldn't use Titebond II? Anybody have any
                  idea how big of a gap I could have and still get a good glue bond with
                  Titebond?

                  Richard Spelling, http://www.spellingbusiness.com/boats
                  From the muddy waters of Oklahoma

                • fraser.howell@ns.sympatico.ca
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
                    I agree that a plug overrllaappping the partner to boom jaw is needed.
                    As well, On my next mast, I will wrap the area of the partner with epoxy
                    and cloth, for protection against crushing(which is what caused my
                    failure, I think).
                    One of my reasons for a hollow mast, is to run the halyards inside, so
                    my plug will have to have room for them. The inside of the birdsmouth
                    mast is octagonal. My plug will either: a)span the opposite sides on the
                    inside of the octagonal, leaving room fore and aft for the 2 halyards,
                    or b) be octagonal, but drilled out. I intend to insert the plug, and
                    glue it up during assembly. I will ensure dry-fit. It might even help
                    with the assembly.
                    For the record, my hollow mast weighed 28 lb. The solid mast it replaced
                    (now back in service) weighs 45 lb. The old mast is whippy in comparison
                    to the hollow one, and makes me nervous. I didn't expect the hollow one
                    to break, and I am always expecting the solid one to break. Go figure.
                    For the plug-gluing problem, why not position the plug, drill tiny holes
                    through the mast walls and inject thickened epoxy with one of those
                    outrageously expensive WEST system syringes?
                    As for cassette tape as telltale, GHC, what is temporary about that?
                    I am now preparing the strakes for unstayed hollow mast #2. The last
                    one.
                    Cheers;
                    Fraser
                  • Orr, Jamie
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
                      Fraser,

                      With your halyards inside the mast, do you have any problem with the lead on
                      the peak halyard, from the mast to the peak? I thought of putting a sheave
                      at the masthead, but decided against it as the halyard would chafe against
                      the side of the slot or box most of the time, wearing the rope, mast or
                      both. Also, what sort of sheave/box do you use for either halyard -- are
                      they just screwed to the wall of the mast, or is the mast reinforced there?

                      Jamie

                      ...One of my reasons for a hollow mast, is to run the halyards inside, so
                      my plug will have to have room for them...
                    • Richard Spelling

                        > Putting solid plugs in properly sized hollow mast are a good way to cause
                        > the mast to fail at the end of the plug. If forms a stress riser.
                        >
                        > The proper way to strengthen a tube it with diamond shaped patches or
                        > layers of fiberglass that taper from each end to the middle.
                        >
                        > Gordon
                        > Gordon Couger gcouger@...
                        > Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
                        > 405 624-2855 GMT -6:00

                      • Richard Spelling

                          > If you want to prevent crushing a diamond shaped metal plate will do a lot
                          > better than plug. The outer part of the mast will still crush. If you have
                          > crushing problems you should spread them over the mast.
                          >
                          > Take an broken fishing pole and epoxy a plug in it and bend it until it
                          > breaks. I bet you ten bucks it breaks at the end of the plug.
                          >
                          > Gordon
                          > Gordon Couger gcouger@...
                          > Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
                          > 405 624-2855 GMT -6:00

                        • Richard Spelling
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
                            > It doesn't appear to have any crushing problems so far, and if it does
                            snap,
                            > I'm a daysailer, I'll troll home and make a solid mast.

                            Just got back from measuring my mast. The walls are 1" thick, not 7/8" as
                            stated earlier.
                            Doug fir, 3-1/2" wide, 20ft long, 40lb.

                            Just closely examined the bearing surface at the partner. No signs of
                            crushing at all, except where I didn't quite get it shaved perfectly smooth,
                            then the small hills of wood are slightly, say 1/16", crushed. This is raw
                            wood, epoxy coated, no glass.

                            Partner is 1-1/2" thick, "D" shaped, with the curved side of the "D" wood
                            and a metal plate across the strait side.

                            As a side note, the grain on the individual staves go pretty much every
                            which way but loose. I think two of them are in the "tree" position, the
                            rest going willy nilly.
                          • Mark Albanese
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1 1:04 AM
                              FWIW the Windsprint plans show a square, hollow, tapered
                              mast, 15' 6" x 3" to carry a 113 sq. ft. balanced lug.

                              There's a solid plug at the bottom 2' 6". The bury is only
                              16". This might be a clue to the right proportions.

                              Mark