New (to me) Micro, and just saying hello from Oregon

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
      Hi, everybody! I should be taking possession of a twenty-ish year-old Micro in a couple of days. It seems to be in good enough shape to sail now, but I believe it will need some TLC soon. I'll probably be asking some questions here as soon as I know more.

      Oddly enough, I was more interested in larger open boats suitable for camp-cruising, but sometimes things just happen. The Micro seems to have a following, and it's a good example of a boat design that has just what it needs and no more. I once had a fiberglass 17' sloop (one that was made under several names back in the 60's and 70's), and the cabin was just too small for a man to feel comfortable in, hence my interest in large daysailors (where the tent would make the whole boat into a cabin). Anyway, when I got into the Micro's cabin, I was pleasantly surprised, and the fact that the bunk cushions were thick and comfy was the icing on the cake.

      My only previous experience with a Bolger boat was an old Teal (I think), that I bought used in Maryland a few decades ago. It worked great, but was just not big enough for myself and my wife and teenage step-son. I'm a bit of a plans junkie, and I quite like Michalak designs, as well as Ian Oughtred (his are just plain art).

      Anyway, nice to be in the group!

      Brian
    • Myles J. Swift
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010

        Brian,

        I’ve had a Micro for 20 years if you have questions.

        MylesJ, fellow Coot

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
          On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Brian <brianincorv@...> wrote:

          > Hi, everybody! I should be taking possession of a twenty-ish year-old Micro in a couple of days.

          Congratulations on the Micro ownership. Plenty of people like this
          design. (I own one too.)