re Diablo

  • mgy@freeuk.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2000
      Dear David

      Thank you so much for your helpful comments at .
      I had a look at your website - you have the first decent picture I've
      seen of
      a Diablo in the water!
      I see you have an Enterprise - which is why I hope to build Diablo,
      so that
      I can explore the nearby waters which are impeded by low bridges. I
      had
      thought of beefing up the transom of the Enterprise and fitting a
      small
      outboard - do you by any chance know of anyone who has done this.

      Thanks again for your assistance

      mgy
    • David Jost
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2000
        The Enterprise transom would certainly need beefing up at the very
        least. It is marginal as is! I don't know of anyone who has done
        this. I am experimenting with locating a couple of oarplates in the
        sides and sitting on a couple of boat cushions to row the boat
        somewhat.
        If you did use a motor, use something disposable, since I am sure
        that you are aware how tender she is when not sailing.

        David JOst

        "pride still hurt from last summers capsize in a very crowded harbor"
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, mgy@f... wrote:
        > Dear David
        >
        > Thank you so much for your helpful comments at .
        > I had a look at your website - you have the first decent picture
        I've
        > seen of
        > a Diablo in the water!
        > I see you have an Enterprise - which is why I hope to build Diablo,
        > so that
        > I can explore the nearby waters which are impeded by low bridges. I
        > had
        > thought of beefing up the transom of the Enterprise and fitting a
        > small
        > outboard - do you by any chance know of anyone who has done this.
        >
        > Thanks again for your assistance
        >
        > mgy
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
          Back in the sixties, my family had a GP-14, a Jack Holt design
          similar in shape and construction to the Enterprise. We used a
          British Seagull on a fancy bracket that fitted closely to the transom
          and afterdeck, and which mated closely to the engine. It was pretty
          successful.

          I don't think much reinforcement is required unless you are planning
          to go over hull speed. I'm not sure what would happen with more than
          about 3 hp.

          Peter