Newbie here, wondering what this Bolger is

  • gjgerhard
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2010
      A friend died recently and I'm wondering what to do with his boat. I'm
      told it's a Bolger, and possibly the second one built of this design. I
      don't know how to post a picture here, so I'll have to say it's a beamy
      28' sloop. It has an aft cabin and a 2-cyl diesel. Can anyone give me a
      clue what this boat might be called, much less what it might be worth?

      I'm going to try to embed a link to some photos:

      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp211/gjgerhard/Halcyon/

      Thanks,

      Greg G.
      gjgerhard@...
    • Peter McCorison
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2010
        This sure looks like the Bill Garden design "Portage 24". See "Yacht
        Designs" by Bill Garden, International Marine Publishing, 1977. There
        was this boat or a near sister in the Westsound Marina (Orcas Island)
        for some years in the '80's, I think. It was badly maintained, but could
        have been cleaned up and refit to look like this. Interesting layout -
        galley in the open. a delight on good summer days in the PNW, but not so
        good when the weather turns.

        I've no idea of the value, but if it's the same boat, it surely needs
        very careful survey to assure that the neglect of the last century has
        been corrected.

        Regards,
        Peter McCorison
        Orcas Is, WA

        On 6/28/2010 7:25 PM, gjgerhard wrote:
        > A friend died recently and I'm wondering what to do with his boat. I'm
        > told it's a Bolger, and possibly the second one built of this design. I
        > don't know how to post a picture here, so I'll have to say it's a beamy
        > 28' sloop. It has an aft cabin and a 2-cyl diesel. Can anyone give me a
        > clue what this boat might be called, much less what it might be worth?
        >
        > I'm going to try to embed a link to some photos:
        >
        > http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp211/gjgerhard/Halcyon/
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Greg G.
        > gjgerhard@...

      • John A. Little
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2010
          If you come up with a price, please let us know. I, for one, may want to inspect it and consider purchasing. Would save you some advertising fees if anything.

          K2 - why would it be not so good in weather?

          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
          From: k2spr@...
          Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:16:15 -0700
          Subject: Re: [bolger] Newbie here, wondering what this Bolger is

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2010
            FWIW, this is the same boat that was discussed here a couple weeks ago
            (Jun14). If I recall correctly, Susan Altenberger (Phil Bolger's
            wife) wrote that she "can't place this one at the moment".
            Considering that there are 6-700 Bolger designs, certainly there are
            some unknown Bolger designs to all of us.

            I am leaning towards agreement with Peter, this does look like the
            William Garden design "Portage 24" in his book Yacht Design, pages
            49-50

            On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Peter McCorison <k2spr@...> wrote:

            > This sure looks like the Bill Garden design "Portage 24". See "Yacht
            > Designs" by Bill Garden, International Marine Publishing, 1977. There
            > was this boat or a near sister in the Westsound Marina (Orcas Island)
            > for some years in the '80's, I think. It was badly maintained, but could
            > have been cleaned up and refit to look like this. Interesting layout -
            > galley in the open. a delight on good summer days in the PNW, but not so
            > good when the weather turns.
            >
            > I've no idea of the value, but if it's the same boat, it surely needs
            > very careful survey to assure that the neglect of the last century has
            > been corrected.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Peter McCorison
            > Orcas Is, WA
            >
            > On 6/28/2010 7:25 PM, gjgerhard wrote:
            > > A friend died recently and I'm wondering what to do with his boat. I'm
            > > told it's a Bolger, and possibly the second one built of this design. I
            > > don't know how to post a picture here, so I'll have to say it's a beamy
            > > 28' sloop. It has an aft cabin and a 2-cyl diesel. Can anyone give me a
            > > clue what this boat might be called, much less what it might be worth?
            > >
            > > I'm going to try to embed a link to some photos:
            > >
            > > http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp211/gjgerhard/Halcyon/
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Greg G.
            > > gjgerhard@...
          • gjgerhard
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2010
              Hi Bruce,

              Thanks for your input. Yes, it's the same boat from June 12. I placed that ad while unaware of this forum, and it was only a day or two ago that I was allowed in. I have a craigslist ad running right now, again, written before I was able to post here:

              http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1809696176.html

              I doubt this is the boat Peter saw on Orcas, because it's in pretty good shape, all things considered. I don't have access to the book you mentioned, but I agree it does not resemble other Bolger boats very closely.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2010
                On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM, gjgerhard <gjgerhard@...> wrote:

                >...but I agree it does not resemble other Bolger boats very closely.
                >
                > Greg

                Well, bear in mind that Phil Bolger designed boats over a span of
                almost 60 years! So it is impossible to say "other Bolger boats"
                narrows things down much. Speaking for myself only, your boat could
                fit within a Bolger design style from the 1960's. That said, I am
                pretty well convinced to agree that it is likely the Bill Garden
                design "Portage 24".
              • Chris Crandall
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2010
                  I agree with the others--this does seem to be the Garden "Portage 24".

                  The plans in "Yacht Designs" show an open cockpit, but the text
                  indicates some were built "with the more usual trunk cabin" which seems
                  to be this boat.

                  It is a plywood boat, with fiberglass skin. This boat, in any case,
                  needs a thorough survey, and that should also settle this issue of
                  builder and designer (if you hire the right surveyor).

                  I wouldn't rush to buy it, myself.

                  -Chris
                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2010
                    > The plans in "Yacht Designs" show an open cockpit, but the text
                    > indicates some were built "with the more usual trunk cabin" which seems
                    > to be this boat.

                    I haven't had a chance to get out the book. I'll be very interested to see. I hadn't remembered the stern as being so beamy. Nor did I ever notice the rounded stem. I've seen pictures of Garden boats in the past that I've barely recognized from the plans.

                    I found the inside/outside arrangement very difficult to visualize from the plan drawings. Garden drew plans for builders, and they are in general more difficult to read than plans by Atkin, Bolger and some others who paid more attention to how they would appear to a novice or in the pages of a magazine.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2010
                      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                      > > The plans in "Yacht Designs" show an open cockpit, but the text
                      > > indicates some were built "with the more usual trunk cabin" which seems
                      > > to be this boat.
                      >
                      > I haven't had a chance to get out the book. I'll be very interested to see.

                      You can see the plans if you use the "look inside the book" feature at
                      Amazon.com