Chebacco 25' Lapstrake plans

  • Mick J
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
      Hi Guys,

      I'm really interested in a 25ft Lapstrake Chebacco.
      I've read that Suzanne is quite busy, so rather than bother her, I thought I'd ask here first. Is there anyone here who has a set of UNUSED plans for a 25ft Chebacco.

      I've got a copy of Boats with an Open Mind, and while I think I can figure out most of the design, having access to the plans would come in handy.

      Has anybody built a Chebacco from BWAOM??

      Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Mick
    • dir_cobb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
        Hi Mick. I don't believe the plans in BWAOM are sufficient to build any one of the boats (except perhaps Brick). The plans in Dynamite Payson's books are complete and therefore theoretically sufficient but NOT to scale. They include a Chebacco although not the 25 ft Lapstrake.

        If you are going to build any significant boat full size, the plans are an insignificant part of the cost and I would definitely recommend supporting the designers and their families by purchassing them (preferably directly). The plans will cost a lot less than a mistake made from a wrong guess or trying to read a bad scaled up photocopy.

        I built Oldshoe from full plans (albeit from CSB as I didn't know about any issue with them then...) and am building a Nymph derivative from the plans in Payson's books. I am finishing a model of the Light Schooner also from plans in the book.

        David Cobb
        Santiago, Chile

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mick J" <mick_catchtwentytwo@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I'm really interested in a 25ft Lapstrake Chebacco.
        > I've read that Suzanne is quite busy, so rather than bother her, I thought I'd ask here first. Is there anyone here who has a set of UNUSED plans for a 25ft Chebacco.
        >
        > I've got a copy of Boats with an Open Mind, and while I think I can figure out most of the design, having access to the plans would come in handy.
        >
        > Has anybody built a Chebacco from BWAOM??
        >
        > Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > Thanks
        >

        > Mick

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
          Mick,

          I am also interested in 25' Chebacco and have started to build from the plans in BWAOM. I agree that having the actual plans and key would be useful because there is lots i am having to work out from scratch, re-draw, re-calculate etc. but there is sufficient information in BWOAM to build it. And if you can't get the plans there is no alternative.

          In a way this is proving more challenging a project and is making it more fun. It is giving me the opportunity to tweak things here and there on the drawing board (CAD screen) - but it will take longer and no-doubt there will be mistakes.

          i am up to the stage where the moulds are faired and planking in 15mm marine ply is set to begin.

          It is a bigger project than i imagined - each plank is 3 scarf joints and i have over half a ton of wood just for the planking. But so far progress has been smooth (touch half a ton of 15mm ply ...).

          Regards,

          Andrew
        • Mick J
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
            Hi David,

            Thanks for the response.
            My intention was NOT to cheat the designers out of their earnings.
            I thought that, if there are any people out there, who have bought plans, but not used them(UNUSED) then I'd be happy to buy the plans off them.
            I have read posts from people who have had a difficulty buying plans as Suzanne was busy. Without the aid of on-line facilities, buying plans online can be quite difficult. I will probably have to have a "Bank Cheque" made up. I lot of young people will probably ask "Whats a Bank Cheque?" :) Note: I live in Perth(Australia).

            I have built a ply lapstrake boat before(Navigator)so I'm familiar with the process. I'm quite confident I could use the offsets(from BWAOM) to produce my own lofting, but there are many aspects to the design that I may have to be creative with.

            Cheers

            Mick

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dir_cobb" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mick. I don't believe the plans in BWAOM are sufficient to build any one of the boats (except perhaps Brick). The plans in Dynamite Payson's books are complete and therefore theoretically sufficient but NOT to scale. They include a Chebacco although not the 25 ft Lapstrake.
            >
            > If you are going to build any significant boat full size, the plans are an insignificant part of the cost and I would definitely recommend supporting the designers and their families by purchassing them (preferably directly). The plans will cost a lot less than a mistake made from a wrong guess or trying to read a bad scaled up photocopy.
            >
            > I built Oldshoe from full plans (albeit from CSB as I didn't know about any issue with them then...) and am building a Nymph derivative from the plans in Payson's books. I am finishing a model of the Light Schooner also from plans in the book.
            >
            > David Cobb
            > Santiago, Chile
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mick J" <mick_catchtwentytwo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Guys,
            > >
            > > I'm really interested in a 25ft Lapstrake Chebacco.
            > > I've read that Suzanne is quite busy, so rather than bother her, I thought I'd ask here first. Is there anyone here who has a set of UNUSED plans for a 25ft Chebacco.
            > >
            > > I've got a copy of Boats with an Open Mind, and while I think I can figure out most of the design, having access to the plans would come in handy.
            > >
            > > Has anybody built a Chebacco from BWAOM??
            > >
            > > Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
            > >

            > > Thanks
            > >

            > > Mick

          • Mick J
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
              Andrew,

              Thats great news!!
              I think your satisfaction levels would be Sky-High.

              Did you scarf your planks on the boat, or on a bench?
              I was thinking of scarfing directly on the boat.
              I was also thinking of laying down some permanent stringers(battens) to define each plank. This would help with scarfing, but I'm afraid that exposed stringers will make the boats interior look messy. Maybe temporary stringers?? I', still in "Dream Mode" at the moment.
              I recently finished a John Welsford Navigator, so I'm looking for the next challenge.
              I've been looking for a while, but all roads keep leading me back to the Chebacco.

              Anyway, its good to hear from you.
              Thanks for the info.

              Cheers

              Mick

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

              > Mick,
              >
              > I am also interested in 25' Chebacco and have started to build from the plans in BWAOM. I agree that having the actual plans and key would be useful because there is lots i am having to work out from scratch, re-draw, re-calculate etc. but there is sufficient information in BWOAM to build it. And if you can't get the plans there is no alternative.
              >
              > In a way this is proving more challenging a project and is making it more fun. It is giving me the opportunity to tweak things here and there on the drawing board (CAD screen) - but it will take longer and no-doubt there will be mistakes.
              >
              > i am up to the stage where the moulds are faired and planking in 15mm marine ply is set to begin.
              >
              > It is a bigger project than i imagined - each plank is 3 scarf joints and i have over half a ton of wood just for the planking. But so far progress has been smooth (touch half a ton of 15mm ply ...).
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Andrew

            • dir_cobb
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23, 2010
                Hi Mick

                I know what you mean about the logistics. I ended up buying from CSB beacuse they sell over the internet and deliver PDF files... Chile is closer to the US than Australia but that doesn't help much trying to buy plans from the US. I have been trying to contact Susanne and Instantboats with no results for a couple of weeks now.

                Re plans: I found with Bolgers plans for Oldshoe that I marvelled almost as much about the way the plans built the boat for me as I did about the boat itself. The amount of thought and information in the plans never ceases to amaze me. I assume that is why there are such a number of people who buy plans and never build the boats. The plans in themselves are well worth it.

                With experience it must be possible to build a Chebacco from the lines but I am sure you can save a package in time and mistakes if only you can get hold of the plans.

                Best regards,

                David

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mick J" <mick_catchtwentytwo@...> wrote:

                > Hi David,
                >
                > Thanks for the response.
                > My intention was NOT to cheat the designers out of their earnings.
                > I thought that, if there are any people out there, who have bought plans, but not used them(UNUSED) then I'd be happy to buy the plans off them.
                > I have read posts from people who have had a difficulty buying plans as Suzanne was busy. Without the aid of on-line facilities, buying plans online can be quite difficult. I will probably have to have a "Bank Cheque" made up. I lot of young people will probably ask "Whats a Bank Cheque?" :) Note: I live in Perth(Australia).
                >
                > I have built a ply lapstrake boat before(Navigator)so I'm familiar with the process. I'm quite confident I could use the offsets(from BWAOM) to produce my own lofting, but there are many aspects to the design that I may have to be creative with.
                >
                > Cheers
                >

                > Mick

              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23, 2010
                  Mick,

                  It has become abundantly clear that without a permanent crew of helpers it will be impossible to scarf the planks completely off the boat. The planks will be almost 30' long and surprisingly heavy. So I will scarf on the boat. I might try joining two 8' lengths off the boat so that i only have to do one scarf on the boat (i should be able to handle 16' planks). If this proves unmanageable the back up plan is butt blocks.

                  I have decided to use temporary stringers to define the plank shapes. I will remove the stringer before laying down the plank and move it to the plank edge below to define the next plank edge. In this way I will only be using one or two stringers and they won't become a permanent part of the boat.

                  BUT - it is still theory at the moment as the bottom plank (keel plank) will be cut next week with luck.

                  I'll try to put a few photos up on the Photos part of this site under "Chebacco 25".

                  Regards,

                  Andrew

                • Susanne@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2010
                    Hello David,
                         thanks for your interest in our work.
                    Our Design #602 CHEBACCO 25 on four 17"x22" sheets was listed by Phil for US$300.- to build one boat, rolled in a mailing tube, sent priority-mail.

                    Should you still be interested, do send a personal check, money-order, bank-draft etc.
                    Phil Bolger & Friends
                    P.O.Box 1209
                    or
                    66 Atlantic Street
                    Gloucester, MA 01930-1627
                    U.S.A.

                    Typical turn-around is about 1-2 weeks.

                    I believe that the whole Group would be interested in seeing a Chebacco-25 emerge from a shop and read reports on her behavior.

                    Susanne Altenburger, PB&F