Re: A real forgotten gem, Bolger 554 Camping Trimaran using Hobie Cat parts!

  • daschultz2000
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 12, 2010
      I would guess the rudders could be moved to the aft of the main hull for a bit of leverage and to keep them immersed.

      What's going on with the bow? Is that to keep one from testing less than protected waters? Or for simple egress to land?

      Don
    • wwwind2002
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2010
        Bruce,
        magnificent work! I love the idea!

        I also love the idea of getting a bunch of hardware cheap. But I guess there is a hitch:
        a Hobie cat, a very light boat, just accelerates when a gust hits. This reduces the strain on the rig. (A monohull heels, archiving the same)

        But a heavier multihull (which cant simply zoom off with every gust) requires a stronger rig. Will the Hobie mast stand up to the extra force?
        And what about the sail? I assume (having never sailed one) it is cut very flat, for a fast boat is sailing on the wind all the time. It may lack power for a heavier boat.

        If you'd need a new rig you'd miss the point of the design.
        Any comments?

        Hannes

        > Digging through old MAIB's I stumbled across this amazing lost gem of
        > PCB's design. Coming from that period of his life that I value the
        > most, where (IMO) he was at the peak of his creative game. Reflecting
        > a maximum of his "break all rules" elegant frugal simplicity. From
        > Feb 1, 1992, MAIB V09N18.
        >
        > The genius here that he recognized that the expensive part of a boat
        > build is buying all the miscellaneous pieces, hardware/sails/etc...
        > And, that it is possible to buy an old "un-loved" Hobie Cat 16 for
        > nearly free. (Several are selling locally on Craigslist right now for
        > $400, complete including sail and trailer.) Starting with those
        > parts, you add a simple big curved box (23'6" long) weighing a mere
        > 450lbs.
        >
        > This boat actually echo's a lot of his "box boat" values we admire,
        > but with the Hobie Cat cannibalized, comes across as more refined.
        >
        > Cut a Hobie Cat in half, attach it to a 450 lbs simple plywood box,
        > and you get a very capable camp cruiser that sleeps four. Genius.
        >
        > I worked her up using Free!Ship and I am convinced this boat could
        > easily and quickly be achieved.
        >

        > http://hallman.org/bolger/554/554-01.html
        >
        > http://hallman.org/bolger/554/Bolger554CampingTrimaran.html

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2010
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <goodboat@...> wrote:
          > However you get it, a vee-shaped underwater form has less wetted
          > area for the displacement than a level flat bottom. Other factors
          > of hydrodynamics surely come into play, too...

          Mason, I think it's the other way about: the Vee shape having more wetted area for the same displacement.

          The vee-shape has better flow lines though, so above lower fractional hull speeds where wetted area drops away as an important component of resistance then the Vee has it. Above hull speed... for this shallow Vee, bets are off.

          I think this tri vaka may share some faults of the Pivers. The run may drag a large stern wave, for instance, but then I think this one more of a mono with outriggers than a tri. A fast mono.

          Graeme
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
            > But a heavier multihull (which cant simply zoom off with every gust) requires a stronger rig. Will the Hobie mast stand up to the extra force?
            > And what about the sail? I assume (having never sailed one) it is cut very flat, for a fast boat is sailing on the wind all the time. It may lack power for a heavier boat.

            My guess is that the Hobie16 hardware is strong enough. And, the sail
            would be underpowered but it would work. (I think that Hobie Cat
            sails are cut nicely, much better than the poly-tarp sails I typically
            use!) . If you aren't moving fast enough, that is when the motor
            comes in useful. This isn't a racer, but it is a cheap and handy
            camper.
          • hs
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 22, 2010
              Amazing boat!

              I can see , and agree with the view that this boat`s design cleverly makes use of all those Hobie parts.

              But ....

              I also think that this design could be " cheap " , and make as much sense if you rigged it with simple lug rig ( for example ).

              My thinking is that it could still perform very well and you would have a lot less hardware to contend with.

              I`m not entirely sure you would " miss the point ", even though I agree and understand your reason for saying so.I suppose if one had to construct amas from scratch as well , the picture could change.

              The benefit and value of this design remains valid because a number of discarded beach cats are suitable for this design.

              Any comments?

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 22, 2010
                Yes maybe. Certainly one could try any of a number of rigs including the Chinese gaff PB&F has favored in later designs.

                Just a matter of what you want to spend. If I were to build this and I found a Hobie w/o the rig my first stop might be a lug.

                Don

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 22, 2010
                  Does anyone know how this boat looks at the bow ?

                  The drawing looks a little ambiguous to me ...is it just a " foot well"
                  for rope anchor etc ...or to make stepping off easier ?

                  How much water would this hold if swamped ?
                • daschultz2000
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 23, 2010
                    Having read the essay, I conclude the well may have a floor/deck with scuppers. If not, I'd probably make it free flooding with flappers on the drains.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 25, 2010
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                      > Having read the essay, I conclude the well may have a floor/deck with scuppers. If not, I'd probably make it free flooding with flappers on the drains.
                      >
                      > Don
                      >
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hs" <hardystein2004@> wrote:
                      > > Does anyone know how this boat looks at the bow ?
                      > > The drawing looks a little ambiguous to me ...is it just a " foot well"
                      > > for rope anchor etc ...or to make stepping off easier ?
                      > >
                      > > How much water would this hold if swamped ?

                      Thanks ,

                      Sounds like a good plan.
                      Is the essay on the web?
                      Always like reading Phil`s essays.

                      Thanks again.
                    • gary
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 26, 2010
                        The bow is a "sugar scoop," similar to the bow on an AS 19; it can't hold water because it's open at the front. Could be an impressive thump if it plowed into a steep wave or a motorboat wake. I had the plans and toyed with building it (until I spilled rubbing alcohol on the drawings and erased part of them). The accommodations were impressive and it looked to be a quick boat. I was concerned about the bow and the other potential drawback was the potentially long setup time. But with a bimini over the cockpit, it looked like a great boat for a week or better coastal cruise.

                        Gary

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gary" <gbship@...> wrote:

                          > The bow is a "sugar scoop," similar to the bow on an AS 19; it can't hold water because it's open at the front. Could be an impressive thump if it plowed into a steep wave or a motorboat wake. I had the plans and toyed with building it (until I spilled rubbing alcohol on the drawings and erased part of them). The accommodations were impressive and it looked to be a quick boat. I was concerned about the bow and the other potential drawback was the potentially long setup time. But with a bimini over the cockpit, it looked like a great boat for a week or better coastal cruise.
                          >
                          > Gary
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hs" <hardystein2004@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Does anyone know how this boat looks at the bow ?
                          > >
                          > > The drawing looks a little ambiguous to me ...is it just a " foot well"
                          > > for rope anchor etc ...or to make stepping off easier ?
                          > >
                          > > How much water would this hold if swamped ?

                          Many thanks Gary.

                          Pity about the setup time tho` .