Re: Idaho: some numbers and photos

  • rrusk9
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
      You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.

      Bob

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@...> wrote:

      > Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.
      >
      > eric
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Very well done! �Beautiful boat. �I have long admired the Idaho. �Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters. �My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

    • otter55806
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
        I'll second that. I tow my bantam, which weighed out trailer and all at 2740 lbs, with a Kia sedona van with the 6 cyl. I've towed it from MN to FL and back, and MN to TX and back, plus lots of shorter trips of under 250 miles.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rrusk9" <rrusk9@...> wrote:

        > You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.
        > >
        > > eric
        > >

        > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Very well done! �Beautiful boat. �I have long admired the Idaho. �Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters. �My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

      • John Bell
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
          What are your rpms at WOT and half throttle?

          You may not have quite the correct propeller pitch.

          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:

          2nd part of the building
          http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

          Weight: 810 kgs (1785 lbs)
          (complete w/motor, gas, equipment)

          Max Speed: 13.5 knots
          Half throttle: 10 knots
          Honda BF20 20 HP, long shaft. Two people crew.

          -------

          On common sense website the empty weight says 544 kgs (1200 lbs) and 14
          knots on 12hp. Could it be, the difference in weight affect that much the
          speed?

          Very happy how it feels.
          Regards, Máximo

        • Maximo
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
            Hello John: I don't have a tachometer for RPM reading. The documentation on
            internet of my motor, the standard propeller is diameter 9 1/4 x pitch 10,
            but I will check it next time I go to the club. Thanks, regards, Máximo.