RE: [bolger] Re:Idaho: some numbers and photos

  • Maximo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
      Thank you Bob.

      We have also some very expensive marinas near downtown, and they charge you
      extra if you live on board.

      Also keep in mind, it's difficult to compare, because our average salaries
      are lowers than USA, Europe and many other countries.

      Regards, Máximo.

      > $46. a month! Wow! 3 1/2 years ago in Florida I talked to a
      > guy who had to leave the marina he had lived in for something
      > like 15 years and anchor out because rates had gone up to
      > $600. a month!
      > Again, you've built a great boat. Have fun with it:) Bob
    • eric14850
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
        Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.

        eric

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@...> wrote:

        > Very well done!  Beautiful boat.  I have long admired the Idaho.  Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters.  My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

      • rrusk9
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
          You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.

          Bob

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@...> wrote:

          > Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.
          >
          > eric
          >

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Very well done! �Beautiful boat. �I have long admired the Idaho. �Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters. �My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

        • otter55806
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
            I'll second that. I tow my bantam, which weighed out trailer and all at 2740 lbs, with a Kia sedona van with the 6 cyl. I've towed it from MN to FL and back, and MN to TX and back, plus lots of shorter trips of under 250 miles.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rrusk9" <rrusk9@...> wrote:

            > You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.
            > >
            > > eric
            > >

            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Very well done! �Beautiful boat. �I have long admired the Idaho. �Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters. �My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

          • John Bell
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
              What are your rpms at WOT and half throttle?

              You may not have quite the correct propeller pitch.

              On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:

              2nd part of the building
              http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

              Weight: 810 kgs (1785 lbs)
              (complete w/motor, gas, equipment)

              Max Speed: 13.5 knots
              Half throttle: 10 knots
              Honda BF20 20 HP, long shaft. Two people crew.

              -------

              On common sense website the empty weight says 544 kgs (1200 lbs) and 14
              knots on 12hp. Could it be, the difference in weight affect that much the
              speed?

              Very happy how it feels.
              Regards, Máximo

            • Maximo
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                Hello John: I don't have a tachometer for RPM reading. The documentation on
                internet of my motor, the standard propeller is diameter 9 1/4 x pitch 10,
                but I will check it next time I go to the club. Thanks, regards, Máximo.