RE: [bolger] 16 foot Canoe Yawl

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010

      This is one of PCB’s ‘pretty’ (as opposed to harshly functional) boats and it certainly deserves to be built in some numbers.

      I have almost finished a ‘Storm 17’ (see the Swallow Boats web page) which is about the same size and shape as the 16 ft Canoe Yawl and I’m pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old Shoe…  There is, of course, no comparison in looks.

      JohnT

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
        On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM, John and Kathy Trussell
        <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

        > This is one of PCB’s ‘pretty’ (as opposed to harshly functional) boats and it certainly deserves to be built in some numbers.
        >
        > I have almost finished a ‘Storm 17’ (see the Swallow Boats web page) which is about the same size and shape as the 16 ft Canoe Yawl and I’m pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old Shoe…  There is, of course, no comparison in looks.
        >
        > JohnT

        Cool. Here is the URL of a Storm17, and yes that is a very similar
        shape to Bolger's 16 ft Canoe Yawl

        http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/67/84/

        I agree with you very much, with a couple of nuances:

        I think that a rounded shape boat rows better than an hard chine boat,
        because of less wetted surface area and less weight, so this 16ft
        Canoe Yawl (with oar power axillary) would be more "functional" when
        rowing as compared to a hard chine boat.

        My comments about building time comes from my experiences of building
        a 16ft Micro and of building a 16ft lapstrake double ended Bolger
        Cartoon 5. Lapstrake construction can take much longer if you demand
        glossy fit and finish, or it can go very quickly if you are willing to
        settle for work boat finish.

        That Cartoon 5 lapstrake build of mine was very much "work boat
        finish" and it took only a few weeks of spare time, I forget how many
        manhours, about 50 or 60. Prior to that I build a similar lapstrake
        Spur II in, (I forget), roughly about 80 manhours

        http://community.webshots.com/album/360982713bZwutE

        In contrast, my Micro Navigator took about 450 hours. (I could do it
        again based on what I learned in 200 manhours.)
      • hs
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
          > Here is the Free!Ship "fbm" file, if anyone wants to see the expanded strake
          > shapes, the lofting is done already, make it easy.
          >

          > http://hallman.org/bolger/16ftCanoeYawl/16FtCanoeYawl.fbm

          Hello Bruce.

          When I try to open this file I get this error message :

          " This file was created with a later version od freeship and cannot be read with this version ..."

          So , could you advise please , which version of freeship do I neeed to read this ?

          Best regards............
          Harry
        • Christopher C. Wetherill

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...> wrote:

              > Works w/ V 2.6

              Many thanks Christopher.
            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
                > I'm pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old
                > Shoe. There is, of course, no comparison in looks.

                "OLDSHOE Summary...
                For a 12 foot boat, it is neither cheap nor simple.. Bill Nicolay..."
                oldshoe.txt file http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/files/How%20To/
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2010
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                    On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:53 AM, graeme19121984
                    <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

                    > The Nord Koster?
                    > http://boatbldr.com/html/boats/koster.html

                    Yep, looks like the exact same design.

                    Yes, that last version of Free!Ship which is 'open source' is version
                    2.6. A few years old, but still works great.

                    Available in a lot of places including here:

                    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml