16 foot Canoe Yawl

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
      Phil Bolger designed so many boats, that some really gorgeous ones escape our attention.  The 16 Foot Canoe Yawl is one that I had forgotten about, but one which is simply a masterpiece, in my opinion.  Here are is a tribute webpage to that design...

      In my opinion, it could be a very quick and cheap build, about the same amount of effort as an Old Shoe, but wow, what you would get for that effort.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/16ftCanoeYawl/

      http://hallman.org/bolger/16ftCanoeYawl/16FtCanoeYawl01.html

      Here is the Free!Ship "fbm" file, if anyone wants to see the expanded strake shapes, the lofting is done already, make it easy.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/16ftCanoeYawl/16FtCanoeYawl.fbm
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010

        This is one of PCB’s ‘pretty’ (as opposed to harshly functional) boats and it certainly deserves to be built in some numbers.

        I have almost finished a ‘Storm 17’ (see the Swallow Boats web page) which is about the same size and shape as the 16 ft Canoe Yawl and I’m pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old Shoe…  There is, of course, no comparison in looks.

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
          On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM, John and Kathy Trussell
          <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

          > This is one of PCB’s ‘pretty’ (as opposed to harshly functional) boats and it certainly deserves to be built in some numbers.
          >
          > I have almost finished a ‘Storm 17’ (see the Swallow Boats web page) which is about the same size and shape as the 16 ft Canoe Yawl and I’m pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old Shoe…  There is, of course, no comparison in looks.
          >
          > JohnT

          Cool. Here is the URL of a Storm17, and yes that is a very similar
          shape to Bolger's 16 ft Canoe Yawl

          http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/67/84/

          I agree with you very much, with a couple of nuances:

          I think that a rounded shape boat rows better than an hard chine boat,
          because of less wetted surface area and less weight, so this 16ft
          Canoe Yawl (with oar power axillary) would be more "functional" when
          rowing as compared to a hard chine boat.

          My comments about building time comes from my experiences of building
          a 16ft Micro and of building a 16ft lapstrake double ended Bolger
          Cartoon 5. Lapstrake construction can take much longer if you demand
          glossy fit and finish, or it can go very quickly if you are willing to
          settle for work boat finish.

          That Cartoon 5 lapstrake build of mine was very much "work boat
          finish" and it took only a few weeks of spare time, I forget how many
          manhours, about 50 or 60. Prior to that I build a similar lapstrake
          Spur II in, (I forget), roughly about 80 manhours

          http://community.webshots.com/album/360982713bZwutE

          In contrast, my Micro Navigator took about 450 hours. (I could do it
          again based on what I learned in 200 manhours.)
        • hs
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
            > Here is the Free!Ship "fbm" file, if anyone wants to see the expanded strake
            > shapes, the lofting is done already, make it easy.
            >

            > http://hallman.org/bolger/16ftCanoeYawl/16FtCanoeYawl.fbm

            Hello Bruce.

            When I try to open this file I get this error message :

            " This file was created with a later version od freeship and cannot be read with this version ..."

            So , could you advise please , which version of freeship do I neeed to read this ?

            Best regards............
            Harry
          • Christopher C. Wetherill

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...> wrote:

                > Works w/ V 2.6

                Many thanks Christopher.
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
                  > I'm pretty sure that the Canoe Yawl is a lot more work than an Old
                  > Shoe. There is, of course, no comparison in looks.

                  "OLDSHOE Summary...
                  For a 12 foot boat, it is neither cheap nor simple.. Bill Nicolay..."
                  oldshoe.txt file http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/files/How%20To/
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2010
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                      On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:53 AM, graeme19121984
                      <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

                      > The Nord Koster?
                      > http://boatbldr.com/html/boats/koster.html

                      Yep, looks like the exact same design.

                      Yes, that last version of Free!Ship which is 'open source' is version
                      2.6. A few years old, but still works great.

                      Available in a lot of places including here:

                      http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml