Re:Idaho: some numbers and photos

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2010
      A stunning job! Thank you for the inspirational photos, Maximo.

      .

      Gerr's standard tables of power to weight ratios reflects a typical light, flat bottom boat planing at around 13.9 knots. Your boat is different though in that it's said not to have any noticeable hump.

      Your own 90 pounds / horsepower is off the planing chart, but 80 yields a top speed of 22..5 kt. Off 10%, might still come closer to 20.

      Looked at another way, with no planing involved, the displacement boat chart shows a little over 13.25 knots is just exactly what to expect for your boat.

      The 1200 hundred pound, 20 hp,  60# / hp boat could hit 25.
      More conservatively than advertised, the 12 hp boat could be as low as 11 knots; or up to 13.9 with Saturn on your side . Still faster than a  sailboat.

      I wonder if this means that if you could only go a little faster you might go a lot more so.
      Mark

      On Jun 2, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Maximo wrote:

      2nd part of the building
      http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

      Weight: 810 kgs (1785 lbs)
      (complete w/motor, gas, equipment)

      Max Speed: 13.5 knots
      Half throttle: 10 knots
      Honda BF20 20 HP, long shaft. Two people crew.

      -------

      On common sense website the empty weight says 544 kgs (1200 lbs) and 14
      knots on 12hp. Could it be, the difference in weight affect that much the
      speed?

      Very happy how it feels.
      Regards, Máximo

    • Rick Bedard
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2010
        Nice work Maximo. Thanks for the photos.

        It's been a long time since Bernie built the first Idaho. I do recall he did not have the correct size motor.

        Rick

        Honda BF20 20 HP, long shaft. Two people crew.

        -------

        On common sense website the empty weight says 544 kgs (1200 lbs) and 14
        knots on 12hp. Could it be, the difference in weight affect that much the
        speed?

        Very happy how it feels.
        Regards, Máximo

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
            bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
          Wow! Maximo, congratulations. It is not everyday that someone
          launches a big Bolger boat, that is a heck of an accomplishment.

          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:

          > 2nd part of the building
          > http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm
        • daschultz2000
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
            Beautiful and apparently very true to the plans. I own a set of the CSD plans bought 2nd hand a few years ago. I admire the simple windshield treatment at the bow.

            Except for the storage/trailering problems of a 30 footer, this seems an ideal picnic/day cruiser for several, with nice occasional camp cruising for 2 on rivers and many lakes. And one could leave off the cabin, go to a planked deck finished bright and have a bargain gentleman's speed boat, again for protected waters

            IMO, without knowing more about the prop and engine rpm it is difficult to know how many of the 20hp are being used. The cabin is a major aerodynamic drag, so head/tail winds will have a big impact.

            I recall the prototype having a 25hp 2 stroke Mercury on it. Those old Merc's were noted for their performance.

            Don

            > Wow! Maximo, congratulations. It is not everyday that someone
            > launches a big Bolger boat, that is a heck of an accomplishment.
            >
            > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > 2nd part of the building
            > > http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

          • Chester Young
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010

              Maximo:

              Congratulations on the launch.  Very nice detail on the interior.

              I run Esther Mae (Tennessee) with a four stroke 25hp and being close to the plans (double 3/8” bottom with 3/8” hull and cabin top).  When first purchased the engine had been sitting for about two years.  The engine started on the day of the test drive without much hassle and produced boat speeds of 12 – 14 mph with economy of 10 mpg running wide open throttle.  Now at over 800 hours and in excess of 4,500 miles I regularly run at 16 mph but have not checked the economy lately.  I suspect that the biggest factor in the speed is ethanol in the gasoline.  I regularly run a gas preservative that is intended to eliminate buildup in the system.  It is possible that over time it is still removing gunk from the carburetor.  I talked with a service technician at the local Yamaha dealer and he said that with the pre 2001 models the jets in the carburetors are large enough to deal with the ethanol and that there is little that can be done to eliminate the effect of the stuff.  Apparently newer models are more sensitive to the ethanol and suffer reduced performance if left sitting for very long.

              Respectfully

              Caloosarat

              Beautiful and apparently very true to the plans. I own a set of the CSD plans bought 2nd hand a few years ago. I admire the simple windshield treatment at the bow.

              Except for the storage/trailering problems of a 30 footer, this seems an ideal picnic/day cruiser for several, with nice occasional camp cruising for 2 on rivers and many lakes. And one could leave off the cabin, go to a planked deck finished bright and have a bargain gentleman's speed boat, again for protected waters

              IMO, without knowing more about the prop and engine rpm it is difficult to know how many of the 20hp are being used. The cabin is a major aerodynamic drag, so head/tail winds will have a big impact.

              I recall the prototype having a 25hp 2 stroke Mercury on it. Those old Merc's were noted for their performance.

              Don

              > Wow! Maximo, congratulations. It is not everyday that someone
              > launches a big Bolger boat, that is a heck of an accomplishment.
              >
              > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > 2nd part of the building
              > > http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

            • Jeffery Measamer
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                Very nice job, she looks great.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Very well done!  Beautiful boat.  I have long admired the Idaho.  Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters.  My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.
                  Bud

                  Beautiful and apparently very true to the plans. I own a set of the CSD plans bought 2nd hand a few years ago. I admire the simple windshield treatment at the bow.

                  Except for the storage/trailering problems of a 30 footer, this seems an ideal picnic/day cruiser for several, with nice occasional camp cruising for 2 on rivers and many lakes.  And one could leave off the cabin, go to a planked deck finished bright and have a bargain gentleman's speed boat, again for protected waters

                  IMO, without knowing more about the prop and engine rpm it is difficult to know how many of the 20hp are being used.  The cabin is a major aerodynamic drag, so head/tail winds will have a big impact.

                  I recall the prototype having a 25hp 2 stroke Mercury on it.  Those old Merc's were noted for their performance.

                  Don

                  > Wow! Maximo, congratulations.  It is not everyday that someone
                  > launches a big Bolger boat, that is a heck of an accomplishment.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > 2nd part of the building
                  > > http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • sirdarnell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                    Looks nice.

                    > Wow! Maximo, congratulations. It is not everyday that someone
                    > launches a big Bolger boat, that is a heck of an accomplishment.
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Maximo <grupos@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > 2nd part of the building
                    > > http://www.promax.com.ar/idaho/index2.htm

                  • Maximo
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                      Thank you all for your kind words. This group is a great inspiration to keep
                      going. In a few month aprox, I will post some videos sailing.

                      I have to wait for the registration numbers paperwork
                      grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

                      I remember now, on the Diablo (160 kgs, 1/5 of Idaho's weight) with the same
                      motor, I made a maximum speed of 18 knots. So 13.5 maximum speed on Idaho
                      seems OK.

                      My background is sailing on sailboats, so any speed from 4 knots is great!
                      :)

                      Also sailing protected from the wind and spray, with a panoramic view, 10
                      knots on interior water, with almost no wave nor noise... is excelent.

                      Bob: I am on one of the cheapest clubs in San Isidro (Buenos Aires,
                      Argentina) we are a union non profit society, they charge for a minimum 20
                      m2 marina (Idaho is 15 m2) u$s 46 a month.

                      Regards, Máximo.
                    • otter55806
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
                        $46. a month! Wow! 3 1/2 years ago in Florida I talked to a guy who had to leave the marina he had lived in for something like 15 years and anchor out because rates had gone up to $600. a month!
                        Again, you've built a great boat. Have fun with it:)
                        Bob

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

                        > Thank you all for your kind words. This group is a great inspiration to keep
                        > going. In a few month aprox, I will post some videos sailing.
                        >
                        > I have to wait for the registration numbers paperwork
                        > grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                        >
                        > I remember now, on the Diablo (160 kgs, 1/5 of Idaho's weight) with the same
                        > motor, I made a maximum speed of 18 knots. So 13.5 maximum speed on Idaho
                        > seems OK.
                        >
                        > My background is sailing on sailboats, so any speed from 4 knots is great!
                        > :)
                        >
                        > Also sailing protected from the wind and spray, with a panoramic view, 10
                        > knots on interior water, with almost no wave nor noise... is excelent.
                        >
                        > Bob: I am on one of the cheapest clubs in San Isidro (Buenos Aires,
                        > Argentina) we are a union non profit society, they charge for a minimum 20
                        > m2 marina (Idaho is 15 m2) u$s 46 a month.
                        >
                        > Regards, Máximo.

                      • Maximo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
                          Thank you Bob.

                          We have also some very expensive marinas near downtown, and they charge you
                          extra if you live on board.

                          Also keep in mind, it's difficult to compare, because our average salaries
                          are lowers than USA, Europe and many other countries.

                          Regards, Máximo.

                          > $46. a month! Wow! 3 1/2 years ago in Florida I talked to a
                          > guy who had to leave the marina he had lived in for something
                          > like 15 years and anchor out because rates had gone up to
                          > $600. a month!
                          > Again, you've built a great boat. Have fun with it:) Bob
                        • eric14850
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
                            Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.

                            eric

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@...> wrote:

                            > Very well done!  Beautiful boat.  I have long admired the Idaho.  Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters.  My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

                          • rrusk9
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
                              You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.

                              Bob

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                                I'll second that. I tow my bantam, which weighed out trailer and all at 2740 lbs, with a Kia sedona van with the 6 cyl. I've towed it from MN to FL and back, and MN to TX and back, plus lots of shorter trips of under 250 miles.

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rrusk9" <rrusk9@...> wrote:

                                > You don't need that much of a vehicle to tow Idaho in any case. Maximo's numbers make it out as being a bit lighter than my 19' bay boat. That boat weighs 2900 lbs on its trailer, and I tow it with a 6-cyl minivan (and have crossed the USA from Seattle to Florida with it twice). Most mid-sized SUVs, 6-cyl crossovers, and the Nissan and Toyota 4-cyl pickups will tow that weight just fine. And contrary to what you might think, the long trailer will increase stability compared to a shorter trailer of the same weight, too.
                                >
                                > Bob
                                >
                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Are you sure you can't afford the tow vehicle? My tow vehicle is a 94 Ford 250 diesel. It cost $3000 has needed about $500/year repairs and more than that in insurance each years I have owned it. I hardly drive it, but it is handy to have the pickup for other things besides towing the boat. It cost less per year than storage fees at a marina. I drive junk vehicles and use a back yard mechanic for most repairs. Renting from U-haul would be practical and cheaper if only towing the boat a few times a year. It is a solution that would work for me and might be cheaper than owning. I may go that route in the future.
                                > >
                                > > eric
                                > >

                                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bud e <bud_4444@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Very well done! �Beautiful boat. �I have long admired the Idaho. �Perfect boat for my wife and I to cruise on protected waters. �My problem is I can not afford the cost of the tow vehicle.Bud

                              • John Bell

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                                    Hello John: I don't have a tachometer for RPM reading. The documentation on
                                    internet of my motor, the standard propeller is diameter 9 1/4 x pitch 10,
                                    but I will check it next time I go to the club. Thanks, regards, Máximo.