Re: [bolger] Re: Very much alive...

  • Dreamzpainter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , May 20, 2010
          If it wasn't for us strange ducks who dont just color outside the line, we make our own lines, dont march to the beat of a different drummer we stroll to the sound of a fiddle (or whatever) The world would be a very dull place !

      In a message dated 5/20/2010 5:08:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, quahaug@... writes:

      First . . . Phil was a 'strange duck' . . . and neither he, nor I, feel any
      reason to explain this. His MIND {and mine to an extent} follow it's own
      course. While working on one project {or solution to a problem} a question
      comes up {or a 'sub-problem'} and the mind 'tacks away' to research the
      question, or solve the problem. Sometimes this 'distraction' is momentary .
      . . in other cases it takes on a life of it's own.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 21 , May 21, 2010
        It's OK to color outside the lines but if you are building a PB&F design and you make alterations it is at your own risk or peril. The well thought out plans and resulting craft are amazing and more than meet the functional specifications. Phil was one of those rare people who left his ego at elsewhere, fessed up to mistakes and failures in public and made the necessary corrections. There is hardly a day goes by I do not think of how Phil's boats I have built and use make my life so much richer. (Houseboat, Clamskiff, Junebug) Paul -- from the shores of the Mighty St. Lawrence

        Message 3 of 21 , May 21, 2010
          On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Paul <paulmclellan@...> wrote:

          > It's OK to color outside the lines but if you are building a PB&F design and you make alterations it is at your own risk or peril.

          And to PCB's credit, (if I understand him), he understood and accepted
          human nature. Builders very often choose to modify his designs, and
          sometimes this is an improvement, and sometimes not. He was OK with
          that, but he would tell you what he thought of your changes, good or
          bad. Sometimes people died in his boats, that is a worldly risk
          (Google: "Nenad Belic").
        • R Ranville
          Message 4 of 21 , May 21, 2010
            how do I stop all these message copies showing up in my e-mail?!

          • Susanne@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 21 , May 21, 2010
              I'll do a MAIB piece on that episode, including on known alterations and what was not done to keep her safe as indicated by her state when the empty hull was found.  Tragic, and design-wise unnecessary.
              Susanne
              > It's OK to color outside the lines but if you are building a PB&F design and you make alterations it is at your own risk or peril.

              And to PCB's credit, (if I understand him), he understood and accepted
              human nature. Builders very often choose to modify his designs, and
              sometimes this is an improvement, and sometimes not. He was OK with
              that, but he would tell you what he thought of your changes, good or
              bad. Sometimes people died in his boats, that is a worldly risk
              (Google: "Nenad Belic").

            • steven_dantonio
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 12, 2010
                I was just looking at the plans for the featherwind in one of Phil Bolger's books before ordering.

                There are 2 side profiles. One listed as "expanded side profile". Is this simply a way to expand freeboard so the gunwales are riding a little higher above the water?

                Steven
              • Christopher C. Wetherill

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
                    Hi Chris,

                    Thanks. Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a projected view. This is good to know.

                    Steven

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...> wrote:

                    > In general, it is the "unwrapping" of the curved surface to the flat
                    > sheets of plywood for cutting.
                    >
                    > V/R
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > On 12/12/2010 8:50 PM, steven_dantonio wrote:
                    > > I was just looking at the plans for the featherwind in one of Phil Bolger's books before ordering.
                    > >
                    > > There are 2 side profiles. One listed as "expanded side profile". Is this simply a way to expand freeboard so the gunwales are riding a little higher above the water?
                    > >
                    > > Steven

                  • Peter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
                      > Thanks. Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile
                      > on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a
                      > projected view.

                      You're on the right track, I think.

                      I think most people would say that one is the shape of the boat, and the other is the shape of the plank.
                    • Christopher C. Wetherill
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
                        A good way to get a handle on the build philosophy  used in many Bolger designs is to read one of Harold Payson's "Instant Boats" series of books.  I am partial to "Build The New Instant Boats" and "Instant Boat Building with Dynamite Payson"

                        V/R
                        Chris

                        On 12/13/2010 9:54 AM, Peter wrote:
                        Thanks.  Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile
                        on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a
                        projected view.

                        You're on the right track, I think.

                        I think most people would say that one is the shape of the boat, and the other is the shape of the plank.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • sirdarnell
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
                          The expanded sides are what you would cut out of a piece(s) of plywood to create the side panels. The un-expanded sides are what the side looks like, after the expanded side is wrapped around the bulkheads and fastened to stem and stern. Some places, like Glen-L, sell patterns for cutting out side panels. These patterns are the same as the expanded sides, except you don't have to do anything except copy the patterns onto the plywood and cut, no measuring needed.

                          David