Re: Elegant Punt Pics

  • tlakin2002
    Message 1 of 21 , May 6, 2010
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4539741290/in/set-72157622785582418/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4539741162/in/set-72157622785582418/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4223057693/in/set-72157622785582418/

      all i did with the strop that holds the oar on, is take a bit of line about 18" or so long (not exact, i'm guessing that's what i did) and double it over in the middle, then tied a knot with the ends parallel. taking that loop of line, wrapping it around the oar once and tucking the knot back through the loop. cinch it to the oar, then tuck the pin through the remaining loop of line.

      sorry to be so vague, but i haven't a clue what the knots used are called or even if i've set up the oars to row in the correct traditional manner. it was all guesswork from online photos, but seemed to work just fine when i had it in the water on sunday.

      i don't see why round oars wouldn't work the same. they may even allow for feathering.

      -trevor

      > Can we get some pics of the details of the thole pins and lashings
      > please? Would they work on round oars?
      >
      > HJ
      >
      > tlakin2002 wrote:
      > > My EP finally hit the water yesterday. Just a short dip in Springfield Lake to work out some kinks. It rowed really well with the thole pins, but I need to fashion some collars for the oars. Not much of a breeze, but I did get to sail it downwind a bit.
      > >
      > > New pics..
      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/sets/72157623855467323/
      > >
      > > -Trevor
      > >

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Grant MacLaren <grant@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Trevor,
      > >> Thanks for your great documentation on Flickr!
      > >> Much appreciated, and we want to see your
      > >> EP on the water.
      > >> -=Grant=-

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 21 , May 6, 2010
        You mentioned that you think you need a collar, or leathers of some
        type, that would be to lessen wear?

        Thanks for the links, got two EP's in the shop right now, I think I will
        put thole pins on one of them.

        HJ

        tlakin2002 wrote:
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4539741290/in/set-72157622785582418/
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4539741162/in/set-72157622785582418/
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235211@N02/4223057693/in/set-72157622785582418/
        >
        > all i did with the strop that holds the oar on, is take a bit of line about 18" or so long (not exact, i'm guessing that's what i did) and double it over in the middle, then tied a knot with the ends parallel. taking that loop of line, wrapping it around the oar once and tucking the knot back through the loop. cinch it to the oar, then tuck the pin through the remaining loop of line.
        >
        > sorry to be so vague, but i haven't a clue what the knots used are called or even if i've set up the oars to row in the correct traditional manner. it was all guesswork from online photos, but seemed to work just fine when i had it in the water on sunday.
        >
        > i don't see why round oars wouldn't work the same. they may even allow for feathering.
        >
        > -trevor
        >

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Can we get some pics of the details of the thole pins and lashings
        >> please? Would they work on round oars?
        >>
        >> HJ

      • tlakin2002
        Message 3 of 21 , May 7, 2010
          i think leathers would help a lot. there was quite a bit of wear after just about an hour of rowing. since i'm not a big fan of painting, i'm likely going to wrap the oars in light line and glue it to make sure they stay put or adhere something on the thole pin bed to cushion the interacting surfaces from excessive wear. not decided yet. i hope to take the boat out again tomorrow on fellows lake, just north of town. it's a little bigger than where i did my splashdown/test run last weekend. i should get a better idea after that.

          good luck with your EP builds. it'd be great to see pics when they are done.

          -trevor