[bolger] Windsprint Update and Square Scarf

  • Robert N. Lundy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      Hi:

      Well, progress is occuring; the chines and gunwales were ripped one evening
      this week before we lost daylight savings time. chines went on easily. The
      only "challenge" was predrilling the top layer of veneer in the pine plywood
      so I could start the bronze nails. This will now be standard procedure as
      it really helped and kept the nails straighter. Pine is really hard (or at
      least the top veneer is)

      Now, to the square scarf. If you remember my previous mention of this
      "idea" its basically a lap joint made by routing 1/2 the depth of the
      plywood from each panel and joining with epoxy. I built the 4x16 foot panel
      last saturday. Storing this was a challenge as its really heavy and
      unwieldy. I moved it around by lifing right in the middle when it was on
      edge. I have to say I was very concerned about braking the joint as a
      tremendous load is on the perpindicular part of the joint. I have no doubt
      that I could have snapped it if I lifted one end on the flat and started
      pushing. Anyway, I got it in place on the bottom, nailed and epoxyed in
      place. The bottom, when coated with a layer of glass, should be plenty
      strong. To make sure my joint holds, I plan to put a wide piece of glass on
      the inside joint line to make sure.

      So the "experiment" works ok (I think) in this application I used it in, but
      I'don't think its completely suitable unless each side is glassed. Also, it
      took at least as long in total as building the bottom with the two
      buttstraps. But I do have a bottom without a bump on the interior.

      After doing all this my dad indicated that a "step" lap joint would be as
      stong as a true scarf and you'd still get the precision of the router, not
      be dependent on the skill of an operator with a power plane (as in a
      traditional scarf).

      Robert & Amy Lundy
      rnlundy@... <mailto:rnlundy@...>
      rlundy@... <mailto:rlundy@...>