Re: Micro sail plan

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17, 2010
      So are we looking at the traditional junk sail or the Bolger Chinese
      gaff rig?

      The traditional junk sail is a balance lug type with a portion of the
      sail ahead of the mast. Not a good idea on a mast right in the bow.

      I believe Martin Robert's Applecross has the mast located right up
      against the forward bulkhead. To me that makes more sense, and could
      support a tabernacle. The questions would remain:

      1. Is there enough space ahead in the bow well to allow the mast foot to
      swing upwards and clear the bow? Especially if the bow was extended to a
      point like on the upgraded plans.

      2. Could one shorten the foot of the mast to allow clearance if there
      wasn't enough and still brace it properly? I could envision a small lead
      counterweight being added, and a sturdy gate closure at the base.

      The advantage of the traditional junk rig is it could be used with a
      tapered mast as there are loose parrels supporting the battens and no
      requirement to add jaws.

      The disadvantage I think, according to Bolger is the upwind performance
      of the junk rig is not as good as a gaff rig. Not a huge drawback in a
      Micro if one has the benefit of a good motor location and accessibility.

      Putting a lot of mast weight right up in the bow seems counter-intuitive
      when going downwind compared to having it further aft?

      Nels