Re: [bolger] Re: Gypsy

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 11, 2010
      Two questions:

      1) What is the meaning of raid in this context?

      2) Could one use the dagger board trunk arrangement from Windsprint?

      V/R
      Chris

      On 3/11/2010 10:21 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography wrote:
      Hi Fred,

      What about a 1/3 scale up of Cartopper? It has much the same shape as Gypsy
      but a centerboard placed farther forward combined with a deep  rudder. That
      would make a nice raid boat and could sleep two.

      A 1/3 scale up of cartopper would make a pretty hefty 15-footer that would be hard to car top, being almost 6' in beam.

      My experience with the 1.25 stretch-only version of Gypsy has been very positive.  It's carried the dog, me, and a big load of camping gear that put us well over the design waterline without any trouble.  Last fall, I rowed it 9 miles in that condition, half of it in gusty winds.  However, the stretch-only scaling flattens the rocker some, and it would be a little better boat in choppy water with slightly more rocker and depth of hull, I think.  The low sheer is a blessing in high winds, though.

      I have often thought that Gypsy or a derivative like mine could use the forward centerboard, big rudder geometry of Cartopper, just like Phil said he considered before coming up with Cartoon 40.  Recall that he didn't say it wouldn't work, just that he didn't think it would be the best setup for a spirited, quick maneuvering daysailer.  For a camp/beach/expedition cruiser, I think it would work pretty good.  I almost did this on my version, but opted to go rowing instead of experimenting with the sailing rig.

      Two years ago, I lofted (at quarter scale) a version of Cartopper that was scaled up 1.25 in beam and depth and 2.0 in length.  The idea was to get an expedition boat for two + dog for a week or more, with a simple sailing rig and two sliding seats for rowing.  It was supposed to use a forward centerboard just like the original, but I wanted a dipping lug to get shorter mast.  It would have made a good raid boat, too.  The result was acceptable for the requirements, but the sheer didn't look quite right at those proportions.  As usual, I starting getting carried away with complicated dry storage compartments, alternatives to the forward centerboard, and too-clever arrangements for various items.  At that point I lost interest and built my Gypsy variant.  Nevertheless, I'd still like to design and build a boat to these requirements one day.

      Jon Kolb
      www.kolbsadventures.com

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 23, 2010
        It's only that I'm obsessed with that boat!

        On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM, graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

        who00Owee, Mark your eyes are good! I'm a bit uncertain, could be... How's your nose?