Re. Micro Questions

  • jalo@istar.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2010
      Hello Tom. As a joyful Micro owner I can hardily endorse the design.
      Technically I did not build mine but in fact probably put in more
      hours rebuilding the one that was given to me to rescue from death by
      neglect, rain water and eight years collection of rotting leaves.
      After a complete refit, massive repair and rebuild I can honestly say
      Teah McGee is one of the most delightful boats I've ever sailed. She's
      not a true shoal draft by Bolger standards but at 21 and a half inches
      draft (I added a 1/2" corian shoe to the keel for rock resistance)
      she's very nearly shoal draft. I've run mine up to within wading
      distance from beaches with no problem. My wife and I and our large dog
      have lived aboard Teah McGee for up to 3 weeks at a time while
      cruising the south shore of Nova Scotia. Micro can never be called a
      fast boat. But we've done better than 6 knots on a beam reach. In 15
      knots of wind 15'4" Micro feels like a 30 footer. We've been hit by
      30+ knot gusts with no anxiety while sailing around Tancook Island.
      It's hard to imagine a more sea worthy boat for her size. I'm
      currently in the process of refitting Teah McGee with the Chinese Gaff
      rig which I believe will give more peace of mind for sailing the Bay
      of Fundy. The tabernacled rig will also take the nightmare out of
      stepping the mast. If all goes as planned (hoped) I should be able to
      give revues of the rig by mid summer. Good luck.

      jeb, on the rock and rolly shores of Fundy