Re: [bolger] Mizzens

  • Adirondack Goodboat
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
      Nels, I've had several yawls with boomkins: Drascombe Lugers, Whalewatcher, Micro. The single common requirement is that the end of the boomkin be on the same fore/aft line as the mizzen mast, as it is in all these designs. So your choice perhaps comes down to Where's the best place for the mast? Here I would only say, As near the same line as the mainmast as is practical, with consideration for the motor and rudder/tiller. Another point worth mentioning is that you'd like your mizzen sheet to travel very freely. through whatever turning point is provided, dumb sheave or block, and in some cases you might want to provide fairleads for the returning part to keep them from fouling, as in Micro's case, the outboard motor.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
        Armchair sailing here, with my Micro's trailer locked in a glacier of ice, I'm thinking that if you tried double sheets on a Micro you would not have a good sheeting angle on the starboard sheet, unless you did put on a conventional boom and so could fasten the sheet closer in to the transom. I think I'd rather have the single sheet, and if I want to force the mizzen to windward when in irons or nearly so, stand and push the spritboom by hand. ---Mason

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010

          Nels says “That is exactly what I was wondering about! With a single sheet, you can
          only snug up the mizzen sheet to line up above the boomkin/bumpkin or
          loosen it off the wind but you can't pull it to windward to kick the
          stern through a tack.”

          If you think you need to backwind the mizzen to tack I say you aren’t letting out the main at the right time. Accelerate into the tack and then slack the main. Trying to keep the main in during a tack like a fin keel/drop keel/daggerboard boat is fighting the design except in strong wind. You get the same problem of losing speed and gaining leeway if you haul in the main too soon after tacking.

          MylesJ