Re: Micro Questions

  • Dave Gentry
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 6, 2010
      I built one. The Micro is a micro cruiser, with spartan accommodations and good stowage for two - roomy, but without a lot of creature comforts.
      You don't need a cabin, at all, for daysailing . . . .

      Beach it all you want. It has a salient keel, though, so it won't sit completely upright. Plus, of course, you risk damaging said keel if there's wave action and the ground isn't not soft mud or the like. That hold true with any boat's bottom, though.

      CSB is NOT affiliated with Phil Bolger and Friends - though they (as CSD) were, originally. Nowadays the new owner is just stealing Bolger designs and refuses to pay royalties, etc to PB&F. Phil asked, and it's the consensus here, that we not business with them. All plans can be had through PB&F (eventually).

      BTW, a number of years ago I did buy (non-Bolger) kayak plans from them, not knowing any better. I was very disappointed with the service, the plans and, ultimately, with the boat itself.

      The Micro sounds just dandy for your aspirations, in any case.

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 6, 2010
        On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Tom <tomoll@...> wrote:

        > Newbie here seriously considering a Micro build. I have read all I can find about the Micro, and although many comment favorably about the design, there seems to be little specific detail about what makes it good. I would like to hear what experienced Micro owners / sailors feel the virtues of the design are, and what the faults or shortcoming are.

        upside:

        1) It is a big, small boat. You are free from all the headaches and
        expense of a big boat, while still having plenty of capability.

        2) The Cat Yawl rig is simply better than a sloop when measured is
        cost and ease of handling.

        neutral:

        It is a cruiser not a racer. Good if you plan on cruising, bad if you
        plan on racing.

        downside:

        The 15'6" length has a theoretical limit of speed based on
        displacement hull waterline. Not really a problem if you are
        intending on having fun in a boat, but it would be a problem if your
        intention is to go somewhere fast.
      • prairiedog2332
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 6, 2010
          Photos of Micro LESTAT in the Bolger3 group with some of the interior.

          mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>

          Nels

          > On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Tom tomoll@... wrote:
          > >

          > > Newbie here seriously considering a Micro build. I have read all I
          can find about the Micro, and although many comment favorably about the
          design, there seems to be little specific detail about what makes it
          good. I would like to hear what experienced Micro owners / sailors feel
          the virtues of the design are, and what the faults or shortcoming are.

          > upside:
          >
          > 1) It is a big, small boat. You are free from all the headaches and
          > expense of a big boat, while still having plenty of capability.
          >
          > 2) The Cat Yawl rig is simply better than a sloop when measured is
          > cost and ease of handling.
          >
          > neutral:
          >
          > It is a cruiser not a racer. Good if you plan on cruising, bad if you
          > plan on racing.
          >
          > downside:
          >
          > The 15'6" length has a theoretical limit of speed based on
          > displacement hull waterline. Not really a problem if you are
          > intending on having fun in a boat, but it would be a problem if your
          > intention is to go somewhere fast.

        • Adirondack Goodboat
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 7, 2010
            Some things about the Micro that may not have been mentioned -- It is very seakindly, comfortable and well-behaved in seas. Some comparison studies have been done, I wish I could remember where, of various boats on factors contributing to comfort at sea, and Micro comes off wonderfully in these comparisons. She is an extremely easy and comfortable boat in use, I find. My family and I have enjoyed our Micro more than our Drascombe Luggers, our Dovekie, our two Birdwatchers. The only boat I've had that I think we'd have liked even more, though it's overlarge for our usual sailing, is the Whalewatcher.
            Micro is very stiff in puffs and very forgiving and calming. Some boats can rattle you. The famously seaworthy Drascombe Lugger can go op on its side and take on water over the rail with surprising suddenness; not so, Micro.
            The boat as designed is very comfortable to sleep and read in but for cruising you need to invent some practices and perhaps install some features to suit. I've done little in that way in mine, have just got along camping in it loosely, filling the space under the cockpit side to side to keep things in place. It's very rare that you'd heel more than 15 or 20 degrees in a Micro.
            You can practically beach the boat and step out on dry land over the bow, if the bottom doesn't shelve up too gradually. It's shoal enough for most anything. Cedar Key, in Florida, wouldn't be such good cruising ground for Micro as for a leeboard or centerboard boat because a lot of that water can suddenly be extremely thin. But everywhere else I've sailed the ballast keel would not be much of a penalty, and the open cabin's worth a lot. By the way, if your trailer has a drop axle as mine does, the keel doesn't keep the boat high on the trailer, and you can launch without getting your car's tires wet.
                You need only a small car to haul Micro. Mine is an older Mercedes wagon, V6. That's my limit for haulers and keeps me to reasonable-size boats. Still it hauled the 29 foot Whalewatcher to Annapolis, on a single axle trailer. But I don't want to start up that discussion of tow vehicles again.

            What else. I sailed Micro 42 miles at 6+ knots on a single reach across the eastern end of Lake Ontario last summer and the next day overtook and passed a 30+ foot Toronto yawl with a big genoa and a mizzen staysail in 8 mph winds going down the St. Lawrence to Clayton. So I am content with Micro's speed. Not with her windward work in light airs, nor windward in very strong breezes; in those conditions she makes too much leeway; but she's fine in everything in between and she's very convenient to motor when needed. All in all she's a sweetie.

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 7, 2010
              > the next day overtook and passed a 30+ foot Toronto yawl with a big genoa and a mizzen staysail

              I will ditto that. There are certain conditions where the Micro will
              put to shame boats that cost 100x the price. Especially in reaching
              or running situations. I recall casually sailing on a reach across
              the San Francisco waterfront sitting in my socks with my feet up warm
              and cozy drinking a cup of tea, and watching the crew of a 30+ foot
              Beneteau sloop dressed in foul weather gear go into panic mode
              tweaking their sails, spinnaker pole, and more to avoid being passed
              by a boxy looking backyard built 16 footer (when my Micro cost about
              as much as one of their deck winches).
            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 8, 2010
                Great word picture. Great fun.

                >...watching the crew of a 30+ foot Beneteau sloop dressed in foul weather gear go into panic mode tweaking their sails, spinnaker pole, and more to avoid being passed...(when my Micro cost about
                > as much as one of their deck winches).

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 12, 2010
                  Thanks to all who offered information and suggestions about the Micro - it is all very helpful in making a decision to build one. The tips on where to find additional pictures were also appreciated. It sounds like a great all around boat, suitable for my purposes. I'm looking for something that is comfortable to sail (my wife is not wild about sailing), and does not require constant gymnastics. If I want to go fast, I have other means of doing so. I would definitely like to outfit one with features to make a week long cruise possible. Now if I could only obtain a set of plans. I have a 30' X 40' shop just waiting for such a project, but at my age, I need to get started if I'm going to get it wet. Thanks again all.
                  Tom