Re: Mizzens

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hi Robert,

      That is exactly what I was wondering about! With a single sheet, you can
      only snug up the mizzen sheet to line up above the boomkin/bumpkin or
      loosen it off the wind but you can't pull it to windward to kick the
      stern through a tack. You can do that with the Chebacco version I
      suspect.

      Maybe some sort of fold-down locking arm outboard the stern to starboard
      might give a sheeting angle for a second sheet to be used. How far
      outboard it would have to extend to give some windward affect might be
      another question. I understand that one can do this just by manually
      grabbing the sprit boom and forcing it to windward in an Oldshoe but
      requires a pretty long arm if one is relaxing in the cockpit well of a
      Micro or Long Micro.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robertsmme" <robertsmme@...> wrote:

      > Nels and all,
      > This is a question I have been asking myself. I was wondering about
      putting two sheets on my Micro's mizzen this year to see if would help
      me to tack by allowing me to pull the mizzen to the windward side during
      the tack. The only concern is that with two sheets I am not likely to
      get the balancing behaviour I get with the single sheet on a Bumpkin.
      In that mode I can steer the boat when travelling anything from a broad
      reach to windward, simply by pulling on the mizzen sheet. This is
      because it brings the heading into the wind when pulled in tight and off
      the wind when released. You can in fact tack a micro with out touching
      the tiller simply by pulling and releasing the mizzen at the right time.

      > I have also wondered about putting on a 'normal' boom so that I
      could reef the mizzen by rolling it around the mast. This would
      probably require the bumpkin to keep the boom down, which with the sprit
      boom you do not need to do.

      > I do not believe that the position of the bumpkin makes any
      difference to the handling. If you look at Gary Hoyte's Balancing rig
      you will see it manages well with the sail off centre, granted his mast
      is not.

      > In conclusion, double sheets will give you maximum control of the
      mizzen, which if you can manage all the lines will give some benefit and
      will also save you from having a 6 foot pole out of the rear of the
      boat. The other issue with the bumpkin is that I find that off the wind
      I can easily get a tangled sheet under the bumpkin if I should gybe
      without pulling in the sheet.

      > What I would say is that I would be reluctant to sail without one
      now. I love the control it gives. I love the relaxed feeling it gives
      me when sailing and most of all I love the unconventional look that it
      gives.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        On a Micro, if you want to backwind the mizzen, you can just grab the
        sprit boom on the sail with your hands and physically move it where
        you want. I think the biggest reason for the boomkin is that with an
        off-center starboard side mizzen mast, that there is not sufficient
        angle for a starboard sheet to pull the sail. With a centered mizzen
        mast, the sheet from each stern quarter has an adequate angle to pull.
      • Adirondack Goodboat
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
          Nels, I've had several yawls with boomkins: Drascombe Lugers, Whalewatcher, Micro. The single common requirement is that the end of the boomkin be on the same fore/aft line as the mizzen mast, as it is in all these designs. So your choice perhaps comes down to Where's the best place for the mast? Here I would only say, As near the same line as the mainmast as is practical, with consideration for the motor and rudder/tiller. Another point worth mentioning is that you'd like your mizzen sheet to travel very freely. through whatever turning point is provided, dumb sheave or block, and in some cases you might want to provide fairleads for the returning part to keep them from fouling, as in Micro's case, the outboard motor.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
            Armchair sailing here, with my Micro's trailer locked in a glacier of ice, I'm thinking that if you tried double sheets on a Micro you would not have a good sheeting angle on the starboard sheet, unless you did put on a conventional boom and so could fasten the sheet closer in to the transom. I think I'd rather have the single sheet, and if I want to force the mizzen to windward when in irons or nearly so, stand and push the spritboom by hand. ---Mason

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010

              Nels says “That is exactly what I was wondering about! With a single sheet, you can
              only snug up the mizzen sheet to line up above the boomkin/bumpkin or
              loosen it off the wind but you can't pull it to windward to kick the
              stern through a tack.”

              If you think you need to backwind the mizzen to tack I say you aren’t letting out the main at the right time. Accelerate into the tack and then slack the main. Trying to keep the main in during a tack like a fin keel/drop keel/daggerboard boat is fighting the design except in strong wind. You get the same problem of losing speed and gaining leeway if you haul in the main too soon after tacking.

              MylesJ