Re: Beach Cat, Original or Upgraded?

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
      > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
      > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.

      If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.
    • prairiedog2332
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
        Peter,

        Totally agree that Beach Cat has one the most beautiful profiles out
        there, especially the bow shape which reminds me of the big freighter
        canoes I have seen up north, and ruled for probably about 50 years and
        still being used up there. So I was smitten the first time I saw
        Dynamite's lovely model he created.

        But for two people going out camping for several days, the Michalak
        interpretation seems more practical in that regard, especially for
        sleeping accomodations for a couple, due to the narrower bilge panels
        that give a larger flat bottom section.

        It should be noted too, that it is one of only two designs in his
        catalogue that Michalak describes as being power/sail capable, as well
        as having very shallow draft. The rudder being off-set to allow a motor
        to be close to the center-line of the hull. Just off-set enough so the
        weight of the skipper keeps things balanced. His other design (Eisbox)
        uses an inboard rudder like the Micro which of course adds more draft.

        Nels

        -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

        > > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
        > > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.
        >
        > If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the
        Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat
        should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but
        I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
          I ordered the old version of the Catfish from Payton and the upgrade from PB&F and the plans came within a few days of each other. I ordered both sets of plans by snail mail and had the plans within two-three weeks. Not unreasonable as I live in Oregon and the plans are coming from Maine.