Re: Beach Cat, Original or Upgraded?

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
      Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
      traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look. Much more interior
      space as it uses Jim's favorite off-set leeboard instead of a
      centerboard. I got the plans when it was still in prototype for $25 and
      they arrived within 10 days up here to Canada. At least three have been
      built and Jim has sailed in one so the plans are now $42.50.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/fatcat2/index.htm

      Building blog here - but unfortunately is not complete.

      http://www.buildboats.com/msfcbb1.html

      Nels

      > Ross Lillistone wrote about what could only be a Bolger Beachcat MkI,
      as sailed and built by a couple, in his usual spot in an AABB issue in
      the last year or so. The take-out, as I recall without looking it up, is
      that it is a great trailer-boat, great beach-cruiser, great motor-sailer
      in light airs, and great sail-boat as the wind rises above say five
      knots. The couple were well pleased indeed. Ross could certainly write
      from imagination, but I think all the boats in his articles, and they're
      not infrequently another unamed Bolger or two, are known from his
      personal experience. He's built and had a hand in the building and
      sailing of many Bolger boats. His models of some Bolger boats I once saw
      when he was out bayside at Manly would make you gasp - dangerous that,
      because of the copious and simultaneous drooling! Of course he builds
      all sorts, and has had his own design work "out there" for some time
      now, but of note it is he who is reportedly testing the carbon spars for
      Micro.

      > Ergonomics? The MKI original had the fisherman cuddy, most welcome at
      times, and we may yet have the birdwatchered design!

      > Graeme
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob C" txsailor37@ wrote:
      > >

      > > I can't speak to the sailing abilities of either version of the
      boat, but I can speak to the sailing abilities of the Beachcat's smaller
      brother the Bobcat. The Bobcat is a wonderful sailing boat in most wind
      conditions, once you learn to understand it's quirks and points as well
      as I would think you could expect a Catboat to point. I would assume
      that the shallow keel (newer) version Beachcat would perform much the
      same as the Bobcat.

      > > I think the ergonomics of the newer version would make it a much
      more comfortable boat to spend time in than the origianl. Most of the
      space in the original design was dedicated to a low-top/walk-through
      cabin. The space was not really comfortable for use while sailing. I
      have been extremely interested in building the new version for quite a
      while.

      > > The down side of the new version is I have no idea how long it will
      take you to get the plans. The original version can be ordered from
      Payson and be had in a couple of weeks. I ordered the updated version
      back in November and haven't seen them yet.

    • urbanrocket
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
        Bobby,

        Loved reading your article and looking through your pictures. Your story is an inspiration for those of us (me) who need reminding to keep building in spite of life getting in the way.
        What a great boat! Thanks for sharing the story.

        Bill

        Rubens Nymph 2/3 done in the garage
        Black Skimmer plans on the wall

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob C" <txsailor37@...> wrote:

        > Here is a link to an article in Messing About In Boats where Phil Bolger talks about the redesign of the Beachcat:
        >
        > http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/archives/mbissuejuly00.html

        > Bobby Chilek

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
          > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
          > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.

          If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.
        • prairiedog2332
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
            Peter,

            Totally agree that Beach Cat has one the most beautiful profiles out
            there, especially the bow shape which reminds me of the big freighter
            canoes I have seen up north, and ruled for probably about 50 years and
            still being used up there. So I was smitten the first time I saw
            Dynamite's lovely model he created.

            But for two people going out camping for several days, the Michalak
            interpretation seems more practical in that regard, especially for
            sleeping accomodations for a couple, due to the narrower bilge panels
            that give a larger flat bottom section.

            It should be noted too, that it is one of only two designs in his
            catalogue that Michalak describes as being power/sail capable, as well
            as having very shallow draft. The rudder being off-set to allow a motor
            to be close to the center-line of the hull. Just off-set enough so the
            weight of the skipper keeps things balanced. His other design (Eisbox)
            uses an inboard rudder like the Micro which of course adds more draft.

            Nels

            -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

            > > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
            > > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.
            >
            > If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the
            Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat
            should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but
            I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
              I ordered the old version of the Catfish from Payton and the upgrade from PB&F and the plans came within a few days of each other. I ordered both sets of plans by snail mail and had the plans within two-three weeks. Not unreasonable as I live in Oregon and the plans are coming from Maine.