Re: [bolger] Re: Beach Cat, Original or Upgraded?

  • bud e
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      Can you tell me where I can find information on the orgiginal and upgraded beach cat?  I might be intrusted in building it.  Thanks much.

      Bud

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        Here is a link to an article in Messing About In Boats where Phil Bolger talks about the redesign of the Beachcat:

        http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/archives/mbissuejuly00.html

        And of course I must mention the pictures that are located in the files section here in this group of Tumafish one of the few Catfish Beachcats that have ever been documented on the internet that I am aware of:

        I hope this helps, I am not aware of much other information concerning these boats.

        Pictures of my Bobcat can be found in the photos section of this group:

        I also wrote a two part article about the build and first thoughts on her sailing abilities for Duckworksmagazine.com located at these addresses:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/bobcat/index.htm

        and

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/bobcat2/index.htm

        I built this boat and ultimatley sailed her in the Texas200 inaugural event, I never really wrote an article about that experience, but the overall journey and the mishaps I encountered can be read in the forums of the Texas200. I think this shows the capabilities of the general design and my hope would be that the catfish sails at leat as well and in a little more comfort.

        Bobby Chilek
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
          Ross Lillistone wrote about what could only be a Bolger Beachcat MkI, as sailed and built by a couple, in his usual spot in an AABB issue in the last year or so. The take-out, as I recall without looking it up, is that it is a great trailer-boat, great beach-cruiser, great motor-sailer in light airs, and great sail-boat as the wind rises above say five knots. The couple were well pleased indeed. Ross could certainly write from imagination, but I think all the boats in his articles, and they're not infrequently another unamed Bolger or two, are known from his personal experience. He's built and had a hand in the building and sailing of many Bolger boats. His models of some Bolger boats I once saw when he was out bayside at Manly would make you gasp - dangerous that, because of the copious and simultaneous drooling! Of course he builds all sorts, and has had his own design work "out there" for some time now, but of note it is he who is reportedly testing the carbon spars for Micro.

          Ergonomics? The MKI original had the fisherman cuddy, most welcome at times, and we may yet have the birdwatchered design!

          Graeme

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob C" <txsailor37@...> wrote:

          > I can't speak to the sailing abilities of either version of the boat, but I can speak to the sailing abilities of the Beachcat's smaller brother the Bobcat. The Bobcat is a wonderful sailing boat in most wind conditions, once you learn to understand it's quirks and points as well as I would think you could expect a Catboat to point. I would assume that the shallow keel (newer) version Beachcat would perform much the same as the Bobcat.
          >
          > I think the ergonomics of the newer version would make it a much more comfortable boat to spend time in than the origianl. Most of the space in the original design was dedicated to a low-top/walk-through cabin. The space was not really comfortable for use while sailing. I have been extremely interested in building the new version for quite a while.
          >
          > The down side of the new version is I have no idea how long it will take you to get the plans. The original version can be ordered from Payson and be had in a couple of weeks. I ordered the updated version back in November and haven't seen them yet.

        • prairiedog2332
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
            Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
            traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look. Much more interior
            space as it uses Jim's favorite off-set leeboard instead of a
            centerboard. I got the plans when it was still in prototype for $25 and
            they arrived within 10 days up here to Canada. At least three have been
            built and Jim has sailed in one so the plans are now $42.50.

            http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/fatcat2/index.htm

            Building blog here - but unfortunately is not complete.

            http://www.buildboats.com/msfcbb1.html

            Nels

            > Ross Lillistone wrote about what could only be a Bolger Beachcat MkI,
            as sailed and built by a couple, in his usual spot in an AABB issue in
            the last year or so. The take-out, as I recall without looking it up, is
            that it is a great trailer-boat, great beach-cruiser, great motor-sailer
            in light airs, and great sail-boat as the wind rises above say five
            knots. The couple were well pleased indeed. Ross could certainly write
            from imagination, but I think all the boats in his articles, and they're
            not infrequently another unamed Bolger or two, are known from his
            personal experience. He's built and had a hand in the building and
            sailing of many Bolger boats. His models of some Bolger boats I once saw
            when he was out bayside at Manly would make you gasp - dangerous that,
            because of the copious and simultaneous drooling! Of course he builds
            all sorts, and has had his own design work "out there" for some time
            now, but of note it is he who is reportedly testing the carbon spars for
            Micro.

            > Ergonomics? The MKI original had the fisherman cuddy, most welcome at
            times, and we may yet have the birdwatchered design!

            > Graeme
            >

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob C" txsailor37@ wrote:
            > >

            > > I can't speak to the sailing abilities of either version of the
            boat, but I can speak to the sailing abilities of the Beachcat's smaller
            brother the Bobcat. The Bobcat is a wonderful sailing boat in most wind
            conditions, once you learn to understand it's quirks and points as well
            as I would think you could expect a Catboat to point. I would assume
            that the shallow keel (newer) version Beachcat would perform much the
            same as the Bobcat.

            > > I think the ergonomics of the newer version would make it a much
            more comfortable boat to spend time in than the origianl. Most of the
            space in the original design was dedicated to a low-top/walk-through
            cabin. The space was not really comfortable for use while sailing. I
            have been extremely interested in building the new version for quite a
            while.

            > > The down side of the new version is I have no idea how long it will
            take you to get the plans. The original version can be ordered from
            Payson and be had in a couple of weeks. I ordered the updated version
            back in November and haven't seen them yet.

          • urbanrocket
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
              Bobby,

              Loved reading your article and looking through your pictures. Your story is an inspiration for those of us (me) who need reminding to keep building in spite of life getting in the way.
              What a great boat! Thanks for sharing the story.

              Bill

              Rubens Nymph 2/3 done in the garage
              Black Skimmer plans on the wall

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob C" <txsailor37@...> wrote:

              > Here is a link to an article in Messing About In Boats where Phil Bolger talks about the redesign of the Beachcat:
              >
              > http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/archives/mbissuejuly00.html

              > Bobby Chilek

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
                > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
                > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.

                If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.
              • prairiedog2332
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Peter,

                  Totally agree that Beach Cat has one the most beautiful profiles out
                  there, especially the bow shape which reminds me of the big freighter
                  canoes I have seen up north, and ruled for probably about 50 years and
                  still being used up there. So I was smitten the first time I saw
                  Dynamite's lovely model he created.

                  But for two people going out camping for several days, the Michalak
                  interpretation seems more practical in that regard, especially for
                  sleeping accomodations for a couple, due to the narrower bilge panels
                  that give a larger flat bottom section.

                  It should be noted too, that it is one of only two designs in his
                  catalogue that Michalak describes as being power/sail capable, as well
                  as having very shallow draft. The rudder being off-set to allow a motor
                  to be close to the center-line of the hull. Just off-set enough so the
                  weight of the skipper keeps things balanced. His other design (Eisbox)
                  uses an inboard rudder like the Micro which of course adds more draft.

                  Nels

                  -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                  > > Jim Michalak designed a boat almost identical in size with a more
                  > > traditional cabin and a lot less traditional look.
                  >
                  > If you are looking at different designs, you can find my review of the
                  Bolger Cynthia J. design in the Files section. IMHO, the Michalak boat
                  should benefit from a V-bottom as compared to the CJ's flat bottom, but
                  I think PCB did a little better on the aesthetics.

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                    I ordered the old version of the Catfish from Payton and the upgrade from PB&F and the plans came within a few days of each other. I ordered both sets of plans by snail mail and had the plans within two-three weeks. Not unreasonable as I live in Oregon and the plans are coming from Maine.