Re: Removable Hardtop

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
      Originally we were considering an Oldshoe with a removable hardtop -
      which I think would work great. But the shallower draft and lighter
      weight of Philsboat won out when going out fishing without the sail rig.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/philsboat/index.htm

      The plan is leave the hard top sections home when fishing and installing
      them ahead of time if going out with the family. Of course you can still
      do some trolling or shore fishing with the cabin on and some folks say
      they can cast from the open slot.

      Plan to use fairly light-weight but dark shaded acrylic windows. I
      expect one person could remove and install. I was able to easily do that
      on my Toyota truck topper which was one piece.

      I am quite certain there will be some unforeseen issues with this idea.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "otter55806" <otter55806@...> wrote:

      > I'm with Brian. It's a shame that we have to think of theft nowdays,
      but we do, and that is why I've always gone with a light weight hardtop
      of 1/4" ply, glassed.
      > I've built a bantam and you really can't compare that to a micro, it's
      much larger and heavier. I would think that handling a split micro
      cabin in 1/4" ply would be doable. I'm thinking of doing such a cabin
      for a samll skiff like the A4 B, but only 1 1/2" foam glassed on both
      sides and no ply. Add maybe an inch to the inside of the hull inside the
      cabin and it wouldn't take much to keep it warm on nights that go down
      to or slightly below freezing.
      > Bob
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "BrianA" bawrytr@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Mostly we have been talking about taking designs with cabins and
      making the cabins removable for various reasons. So there really isn't
      much difference in the weights involved, except perhaps a little bit of
      framing to strengthen and provide clamping area around the base, because
      being removable it cannot benefit as much from the underlying structure
      of the boat.

      > > JM has written about and seems to have nothing bad to say, design or
      weight wise, about hard slot-top covers, he just says that most people
      who build one tend to go to a soft-top design because it is more
      convenient for some reason.

      > > One of the reasons I put a hard cabin on my boat was that I wanted
      to be able to leave it tied up in towns sometimes. A guy undoing a cloth
      top could be mistaken for the owner, a guy breaking open even a fairly
      flimsy plywood hatch is obviously a thief.

      > > Cheers, Brian
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Only thing I would ask is "how much weight does this add?"
      > > >
      > > > Weight at roof level is high up and is something JM constantly
      warns about, adding weight at this height affecting the stability of a
      design.