Re: [bolger] Dinghy weights?

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8, 2010
      I can't remembering weighing either of them, but the Tortoise is about
      half the weight of the Cartoon 5. The Tortoise can be lifted with one
      arm and rested on one shoulder. I rigged up a loose "handle" (a foot
      long 1 inch stick on two ropes tied to holes in the gunnel) so the
      length of my arm is just correct to share the weight with my shoulder.
      Like that, you can carry the boat quite a distance.

      The Cartoon 5 lift involves turning it over, lifting one end, and
      positioning your body under the center of the boat and then carrying
      the weight of the boat by resting the center seat across your
      shoulders. Carried like that I have portaged 1/4 mile without grief.

      I cartop both of them single handed.

      In both cases, it is much harder to carry these boats when the wind is gusty.