Re: [bolger] Re: Reefing a lug sail.

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
      Samson has a neat web page with all their braided line and how to splice.

      http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28

      HJ

      eric14850 wrote:
      > My halyard and the auxiliary line to the yard end are both braid line which I do not know how to splice. I sewed the smaller auxiliary line to the larger diameter halyard, and then whipped the joint to protect it and add strength. I may also have tapered the end of the small line before sewing it to the halyard to make it feed into the block easier.
      >
      > I determined the length of the auxiliary line by experimentation, a long time ago and I don't remember the process.
      >
      > A parrel loosely holds the yard to the mast. It also limits fore and aft travel of the yard. The dynamic tension of the mast, parrel, halyard, and auxiliary line hold everything nicely until tension on the luff peaks the leech. At this point the auxiliary line hangs somewhat slack, but remember, much of it has been pulled through the masthead block. I don't remember how I determined the length of the auxiliary line. I suggest with the yard on deck, tying off to the end of the yard and then holding the auxiliary line to the halyard with a vice grip at what seems a reasonable spot. Then pull on the halyard to see what happens. when it looks right, tape, or whip the lines together perhaps leaving the auxiliary line much too long and lightly joined to the halyard. Raise the sail. When everything looks right sew or splice it together permanently.
      >
      > Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have a formula. I can't measure my halyard until after I get back though I don't know that a formula is possible given the different lengths of parrels, halyard attachment points to yards, and variability different yards are peaked up.
      >
      > The yard is more or less parallel to the boom when the sail is lowered.
      >
      > Hope that helps.
      >
      > Eric

    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
        Eric,

        ...snip...
        I've never read about this adaptation, so I think I can claim it as my own unique improvement. It's simple and it seems to work well.
        ...snip...

        This setup sounds just like Bolger's use of a peak halyard on a lugsail yard. He did it on a dipping (boomless) lug sail, but for the same reason. What's different about your adaptation is splicing the peak and normal halyards together into a bridle and running it through a single block. As long as the doubled bridle doesn't jam the block aloft, why not? Still, I'd be worried that one day it would jam just when I really needed it to come down.

        Given the number of lug sails used throughout history, it certainly seems possible that somebody tried to hoist one with a bridle once, but I don't recall seeing or reading about one.

        An alternative to running the doubled line through the block is to simply extend the halyard block height so that the bridle splice never gets to the block at full hoist. The length and placement of the peak bridle segment along the yard must be critical to getting a good set to the sail, so that the yard isn't pulled forward by the peak segment. A yard parrel would mitigate this, but possibly with a lot of stress and chafe. It seems to me that the peak segment of the bridle should be just a bit slack at full hoist to get a good set to a lug sail. If it worked, a sail rigged this way could use a knot, bend, or shackle in place of the splice.

        I'd be interested to see photos of your rig during the hoist and at full hoist.

        Jon Kolb
        www.kolbsadventures.com
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
          > http://www.tsca.net/puget/NordVinden.htm

          That's one beautiful boat, John.

          Jon
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
            (I know this thread is discussing the rigging of the balanced lug rig,
            and I agree that John Weiss' Nord Vinden is a gorgeous boat.)

            ...but it reminds me of a question about Bolger's Chinese Lug I asked
            of PCB about that rig design and his answer in a hand written letter.
            It is kind of minor, but I thought I would share it:

            In the PCB drawing of the rig, there is a small triangle visible on
            the mast near the throat halyard which confused me. And, I was
            generally unclear from the drawings how to rig the throat halyard.
            PCB explained patiently that the triangle was a 'slip of the pen'.
            And, that the rigging of the throat halyard runs up the mast and turns
            on a single block attached to to the lower end of a long stiff pendant
            which is attached near the top of the mast and then back down and
            fastens to the gaff near the throat jaw. This is intended to reduce
            the total length of halyard (being a thinner more stretch prone line
            than the pendant) reducing the total amount of halyard stretch.

            I initially rigged it this way, but after tryout, I added a second
            block at the gaff and 'double parted' the halyard back up to fasten at
            the pendant near the top block because I needed extra mechanical
            advantage to hoist the sail because I am personally not that strong.
          • John Weiss
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
              adventures_in_astrophotography wrote:
              >> http://www.tsca.net/puget/NordVinden.htm
              >
              > That's one beautiful boat, John.
              >
              > Jon

              Thanks!

              PB designed one very similar -- Nord Koster. That one is 16' vs 13',
              and has an inboard rudder.
            • Ralph
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
                Both of them can be seen here:
                http://boatbldr.com/html/boats/index.html

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, John Weiss <jrweiss98155@...> wrote:

                > adventures_in_astrophotography wrote:
                > >> http://www.tsca.net/puget/NordVinden.htm
                > >
                > > That's one beautiful boat, John.
                > >
                > > Jon
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > PB designed one very similar -- Nord Koster. That one is 16' vs 13',
                > and has an inboard rudder.

              • Myles J. Swift
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010

                  Have you guys studied Matt Leyden’s approach? He has a lug with roller reefing that works from the bottom up. Let the main down a little, furl a little, until you reduce sail to the area needed.

                  http://www.microcruising.com/paradox1.htm

                  MylesJ

                • D.G. Cassidy
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
                    Somewhere on the Web is a video of this system in action.
                    Does anyone have the address for that?

                    DGC

                    On Feb 2, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Myles J. Swift wrote:

                    Have you guys studied Matt Leyden’s approach? He has a lug with roller reefing that works from the bottom up. Let the main down a little, furl a little, until you reduce sail to the area needed.

                    MylesJ

                  • Rick Bedard
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
                      Part one;
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DVAnCQJqLI

                      Part two;
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NaNtUEMYgw

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
                        Also look at what Tony did based on Matt Laydens rig;

                        http://turtleislands.net/tmc/default.html

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2010
                          Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 3, 2010
                            There was a video I saw a year or two ago, maybe made by Matt himself, showing in detail the construction and operation of his furling system.
                            Anyone else remember this -- or have a link?

                            DGC

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 3, 2010
                            • prairiedog2332
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 3, 2010
                                Bolger drew an alternate balance lug sail plan for the Alaskan
                                Motorsailer that shows what looks like a 2nd halyard further up the
                                yard. Item #3 here:

                                <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ICpqS5QpJbz2dqcP4LM2x751DTmFUANW3sn5SidPT8\
                                SY5_iYtWFxApAuAWnST6I5-EiTpqwnY7x1cd7IPMJofzvDQRxItw/Alaska%20Motorsaile\
                                r%20%23610/Alaska_motorsailer_sailplan.jpg>

                                If the link is too long, the diagram is in the first file at this group.

                                Anybody know if this sail plan was ever written up somewhere? Looks like
                                it has slab reefing lines leading back to the pilothouse, with lazy
                                jacks to hold the battens onto the boom. To me this looks like a viable
                                option to a junk rig without the sheetlet system complication.

                                Nels
                              • eric14850
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 13, 2010
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@...> wrote:

                                  > Have you guys studied Matt Leyden's approach? He has a lug with roller
                                  > reefing that works from the bottom up. Let the main down a little, furl a
                                  > little, until you reduce sail to the area needed.
                                  >

                                  > http://www.microcruising.com/paradox1.htm
                                  >

                                  > MylesJ

                                  I expect the pretty reefs in those pictures were not put in while under way in conditions that deteriorated to the point of requiring a reef to be taken. Roller reefing is expensive, slow , complicated, and fails dangerously. Furthermore, roller reefing usually results in a sail that is not set well, or if the sail has been cut to reef well, it has been cut so it never does as good a job motivating the boat as a sail that has been cut properly without regard too reefing.

                                  Slab, also called Jiffy, reefing has none of these problems. On ROGUE I slack the halyard, tie the new luff tack to the boom, pull on the leech reef line (tied to the of the boom, feeds up through a reef grommet back down to a turning block on the boom and forward to a cleat on the boom), cleat it, and haul on the halyard to reset the sail. I can lower the sail just enough to reef it or all the way before reefing in. ROGUE's masts are freestanding. I have not tried, but I see no reason I can't put a reef in on any point of sail. I expect that sails to at least 500 sq ft rigged the same way I have rigged my sails could be could be handled by a 130 lb physically fit person without resorting to athletics (assuming reefing at the same wind strength I have reefed ROGUE at say first reef at Force 5: 18 to 24 mph). (The strongest winds I have sailed ROGUE in were measured on deck as stead 22+ mph gusting to 35 mph and there was no consideration of a second reef, though it is instantly available just as the first reef is.) Complicating and increasing the expense of a lug sail makes no sense at all. Primary reasons for choosing a lug sail are simplicity and low cost.
                                  Eric
                                • John Huft
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 13, 2010
                                    I've looked at it but haven't tried it yet.  Looks pretty clever worth, worth trying with a polytarp sail.
                                    John Boy

                                    > Have you guys studied Matt Leyden's approach? He has a lug with roller
                                    > reefing that works from the bottom up. Let the main down a little, furl a
                                    > little, until you reduce sail to the area needed.
                                    >

                                    > http://www.microcru ising.com/ paradox1. htm
                                    >

                                    > MylesJ

                                    I expect the pretty reefs in those pictures were not put in while under way in conditions that deteriorated to the point of requiring a reef to be taken. Roller reefing is expensive, slow , complicated, and fails dangerously. Furthermore, roller reefing usually results in a sail that is not set well, or if the sail has been cut to reef well, it has been cut so it never does as good a job motivating the boat as a sail that has been cut properly without regard too reefing.

                                    Slab, also called Jiffy, reefing has none of these problems. On ROGUE I slack the halyard, tie the new luff tack to the boom, pull on the leech reef line (tied to the of the boom, feeds up through a reef grommet back down to a turning block on the boom and forward to a cleat on the boom), cleat it, and haul on the halyard to reset the sail. I can lower the sail just enough to reef it or all the way before reefing in. ROGUE's masts are freestanding. I have not tried, but I see no reason I can't put a reef in on any point of sail. I expect that sails to at least 500 sq ft rigged the same way I have rigged my sails could be could be handled by a 130 lb physically fit person without resorting to athletics (assuming reefing at the same wind strength I have reefed ROGUE at say first reef at Force 5: 18 to 24 mph). (The strongest winds I have sailed ROGUE in were measured on deck as stead 22+ mph gusting to 35 mph and there was no consideration of a second reef, though it is instantly available just as the first reef is.) Complicating and increasing the expense of a lug sail makes no sense at all. Primary reasons for choosing a lug sail are simplicity and low cost.
                                    Eric

                                  • gary
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 14, 2010
                                      Actually, I've seen the roller furled balanced lugs on Matt Layden-designed deployed, reefed, and lowered, while underway and all in seconds and with good sail shape for the reefed sails. But they depend on a special fitting, shaped like a question mark. One goes in the center of the forward end of the boom and the other fits in a sort of pivoting, universal joint on deck. I think the proportions of his lugs are a bit different form a "normal" balanced lug to accommodate his roller reefing. Matt is an exceptional sailor and he wouldn't use the system unless it was ultra-simple and ultra-reliable. I'm not sure, though, his system would work on a really large balanced lug.

                                      Eric's adaptation for controlling the yard when lowering looks ingenious. Have you posted pictures yet and I missed them? There is another way than those that have been discussed, but it involves a second line. In this case, the line if tied to the forward end of the yard, led to a block on deck (about a foot or so forward of where the front edge of the yard is when the sail is lowered) and than back to the mast or cockpit -- where ever you are when raising the sail. the line is used to pull down on the forward end of the yard, which consequently pivots up the aft end. I like the simplicity of the downhaul line not going to the mast, and hence it can't get hung up there. But it is a second line to handle.

                                      I have been able to reef my balanced lug while underway. The normal practice is to be close reaching and ease the sail until the front edge luffs, but the back half of the sail is still drawing (an autopilot is steering if I'm alone). then the halyard is eased and luff and leech reefing lines, which are led to the cockpit via turning blocks at the mast, are hauled in. The halyard is tensioned, and off we go. This works on my 385 square foot sail.

                                      Gary

                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric14850" <eric14850@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Have you guys studied Matt Leyden's approach? He has a lug with roller
                                      > > reefing that works from the bottom up. Let the main down a little, furl a
                                      > > little, until you reduce sail to the area needed.
                                      > >

                                      > > http://www.microcruising.com/paradox1.htm
                                      > >

                                      > > MylesJ
                                      > >

                                      > I expect the pretty reefs in those pictures were not put in while under way in conditions that deteriorated to the point of requiring a reef to be taken. Roller reefing is expensive, slow , complicated, and fails dangerously. Furthermore, roller reefing usually results in a sail that is not set well, or if the sail has been cut to reef well, it has been cut so it never does as good a job motivating the boat as a sail that has been cut properly without regard too reefing.
                                      >
                                      > Slab, also called Jiffy, reefing has none of these problems. On ROGUE I slack the halyard, tie the new luff tack to the boom, pull on the leech reef line (tied to the of the boom, feeds up through a reef grommet back down to a turning block on the boom and forward to a cleat on the boom), cleat it, and haul on the halyard to reset the sail. I can lower the sail just enough to reef it or all the way before reefing in. ROGUE's masts are freestanding. I have not tried, but I see no reason I can't put a reef in on any point of sail. I expect that sails to at least 500 sq ft rigged the same way I have rigged my sails could be could be handled by a 130 lb physically fit person without resorting to athletics (assuming reefing at the same wind strength I have reefed ROGUE at say first reef at Force 5: 18 to 24 mph). (The strongest winds I have sailed ROGUE in were measured on deck as stead 22+ mph gusting to 35 mph and there was no consideration of a second reef, though it is instantly available just as the first reef is.) Complicating and increasing the expense of a lug sail makes no sense at all. Primary reasons for choosing a lug sail are simplicity and low cost.
                                      > Eric

                                    • Tim
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 1 8:42 AM
                                        John,

                                        Those photos are beautiful. They could all be postcards!

                                        Tim