Re: Just what do I get for my $40.00 / Update

  • sirdarnell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
      Building only 1 boat is the norm in the boat plan business. Ask any one else you wish and they'll answer as he did. Although you should really keep the plans for future reference on repairs.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "haffdaddy" <haffdaddy@...> wrote:

      > A while back I dared to ask the question about for I would get for my $40.00. Many of you got quite upset that I should even ask this question. Most of you said that I needed to call Mr. Payson.
      >
      > So I ask you if your wife buys a cook book and makes you roast duck, she removes to page and never makes roast duck again? I use to work for a company that sold casting and plans for the live steam hobby. We were up front with the plans we sold and just what would you were getting. How many pages and what size there were. How many pages of building tips were included? Plus we offered to help you build it or would work with you about a how do something.
      >
      > While Mr. Payson seems like a nice fellow, he is lacking as a business man. His statement to me about only building one boat and then trashing the plans is something I have never heard from anyone else.
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Greg

    • david johnson

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
          On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM, haffdaddy <haffdaddy@...> wrote:

          > So I ask you if your wife buys a cook book and makes you roast duck, she removes to page and never makes roast duck again?
          >... building one boat and then trashing the plans is something I have never heard from anyone else.

          The way they view it is that rather than buying some pieces of paper
          (like a book) you are buying a license granting permission to build
          one boat.
        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
            > Posted by: "haffdaddy" haffdaddy@... haffdaddy

            > A while back I dared to ask the question about for I would get for my
            > $40.00. Many of you got quite upset that I should even ask this
            > question.

            Apparently you are a very daring person.

            > So I ask you if your wife buys a cook book and makes you roast duck,
            > she removes to page and never makes roast duck again?

            And a sexist one, to boot.

            > I use to work for a company that sold casting and plans for the live
            > steam hobby. We were up front with the plans we sold and just what
            > would you were getting. How many pages and what size there were. How
            > many pages of building tips were included? Plus we offered to help
            > you build it or would work with you about a how do something.

            And apparently a little confused about the difference between a company
            with employees and a sole proprietorship.

            Let me ask--we these vaunted plans with built-in help about $40? Or
            perhaps when you sold the rights to build and get advice, you charged
            for the service? Maybe even a little more than $40?

            Selling plans with license to build one boat is a standard business
            model in this industry. And you can call Mr. Payson on the phone or
            write, and get advice back, at no extra charge. If you don't like the
            price, or the business model, or the service, then don't buy the product.

            But please, don't be surprised when people are unimpressed with your
            snarkiness, or are snarky right back atcha.

            > While Mr. Payson seems like a nice fellow, he is lacking as a
            > business man. His statement to me about only building one boat and
            > then trashing the plans is something I have never heard from anyone
            > else.

            1.) His business has lasted a long time, *and* he seems to have a life
            he likes. Can you say the same?

            2.) If you've never heard before, then you haven't been around much. I
            could make a list of 20 such plans designers/dealers off the top of my
            head with the same model.
          • Gene Tehansky
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2010
              I also would guess that the steam engine plans were not an original design but a copy of somebody else's design.  The original designer not making a dime from the transaction.

              Sincerely,
              Gene T.