Re: Design Question

  • templeagogo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      Well, in our case it would do all but the last one. The extra room up top is important to the missus. How bad of an idea is it to do what you suggest to, say an AS39 or the Antispray then add a 2nd story pilot house?

      Thank you very much for this!

      - J

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Fred Schumacher <fredschum@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM, templeagogo <jlittl@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Nice! Are you working on the boat now?
      > >
      > > What do you think would happen if you added a "second story"? I imagine the
      > > box shape loves to be loaded down with weight. Maybe adding a fixed keel
      > > would lower the center of gravity from such a coach (or is a second story
      > > called a pilot house?)
      > >

      > I recommend expanding down, not up. Adding a box keel would provide full
      > standing headroom throughout, lower the center of gravity and increase
      > grounding survival by allowing the addition of cheap steel plate ballast on
      > the bottom of the keel, provide waterplane lateral resistance, increase the
      > waterline length and top speed, and obviate the need for adding more top
      > hamper.
      >
      > Fred

    • djdecker2002
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "templeagogo" <jlittl@...> wrote:

        > Well, in our case it would do all but the last one. The extra room up
        > top is important to the missus. How bad of an idea is it to do what
        > you suggest to, say an AS39 or the Antispray then add a 2nd story
        > pilot house?

        Perhaps you should look at the Fiji Yawl - same length as the AS39, with an extended pilothouse.