Maybe I'll Keep Her

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2009
      "Island Time" that is.

      I was out in the shop feeding the wood stove and watching the wind blow the snow around when I got to thinking about how the snow looked a lot like the sand along the beaches of Gulf Shores, AL. Then I started thinking about how nice it would be to dive over the side while anchored at some little spot in the Bahamas and spear a couple of fish for dinner. I've got a cold. Just the thought of laying in some warm sunshine makes me feel a little better, but its no substitute for the real thing.

      It really wouldn't take all that much effort to make her seaworthy, again. If I sold the bike, I'd have the funds, but I sure do like my old BMW. I really can't afford to have two toys at the same time; either in time or money. What's a guy to do?

      Tom
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
        Okay. I've made my decision; I'm keeping her and starting the outfitting for extended cruising.

        When I left the corporate world back in '83, it was to sail around the world. While I have sailed a lot, its always been within 500 miles of the US. Now it is time to leave my comfort zone and venture out in pursuit of my dream.

        The goal is to follow the sailing routes of the old ships; downwind for the most part. The Bolger should be a good boat for this as that is her best point of sail from a speed and comfort perspective. The interior volume and ease of storage lends itself to carrying all the "stuff" a single-hander might need.

        I've owned and outfitted numerous boats in anticipation of making this trip. I've always found some excuse to not go. This time, I realize that I must pursue the dream or let it go. Letting it go doesn't seem to be much of an option as the dream is constantly with me; so I must go.

        Tom