Re: [bolger] Re: to seal or not to seal

  • the doctor
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 28, 2009
      paranoia is where it's at !!!!!!!!!

      doc :)

      --- On Mon, 12/28/09, eric14850 <eric14850@...> wrote:

      From: eric14850 <eric14850@...>
      Subject: [bolger] Re: to seal or not to seal
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 9:15 AM

      I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I think there is a little too much paranoia about the ability to seal a boat. I plan on building Crystal or modifying Gypsy to be an all weather lifeboat dinghy. In any case sealed compartments. Hatches because I want storage, but I would be little concerned about not having hatches. I will be covering all parts in epoxy fiberglass. Water tanks and fuel tanks are sealed compartments in larger boats. Fiberglass and epoxy fillets are unlikely to be a problem before there are other obvious problems with a boat. I can think of nothing worse than a compartment sealed except for limber holes and filled with foam. At least make the limberhole face removable for maintenance. I used foam blocks cut and shaped to fit bow and stern. Covered them in cloth for sun protection and to keep foam bits from being a problem and tied them in place. Worked as floatation. Boat stored upside down allowed good air circulation to dry things out.
      Eric