to seal or not to seal

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
      I am at an interesting stage with the Work Skiff. Do I seal the bow and stern flotation compartments air tight; or allow for ventilation and drainage?

      Compartments are completely sealed with epoxy and can be filleted and glassed shut forever. Or...I could add drainage holes as the compartments are also foam filled. I was going to put the covers on with polysulfide sealant if that is the case.

      Opinions are never at a loss on this board. Have at it.

      David Jost
      "celebrating the small nick on his index finger from the Makita planer. stupid but lucky man."
    • the doctor
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
        If they are large enough for useful storage, it might be best to put a water tight port in them.

        IMHO

        doc

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
            I was at a similar point with my 'Featherwind'. Was going to have fully drained compartments bow and stern - put appropriate limber holes in the stern compartment bulkhead, then had second thoughts. Ended up making good sized top hatches for both, sealed with window-strip seal. Seemed like too usable a space (for light storage) to be sealed up for the life of the hull. Hope I've made the right decision, but think it will be ok. I now have to plug those limber holes..

            Andrew Wallace,
            New Zealand.

            I am at an interesting stage with the Work Skiff. Do I seal the bow and stern flotation compartments air tight; or allow for ventilation and drainage?

            Compartments are completely sealed with epoxy and can be filleted and glassed shut forever. Or...I could add drainage holes as the compartments are also foam filled. I was going to put the covers on with polysulfide sealant if that is the case.

            Opinions are never at a loss on this board. Have at it.

            David Jost
            "celebrating the small nick on his index finger from the Makita planer. stupid but lucky man."

            Email slow, clunky, unreliable? Switch to Yahoo!Xtra Mail, New Zealand's new email address.
          • the doctor
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
              I had a featherwind,, very well built by someone else... it had 6" ports  in the compartments.  I cut and installed hatches similar to yours..
              Sure wish I had kept that boat !!!!!

              doc

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
                David,

                Some key words from your post;
                "seal"
                "air tight"
                "completely sealed"
                "glassed shut forever"

                Are words that don't exist in my little boating world, and David  I know your boating environment is much harsher than mine.

                How you'll use/or abuse, store/or park uncovered under a tree, and maintain/or neglect is unknown to me, but will be important considerations. (I'm guilty of all the latter choices).

                However the phrase you wrote;
                "allow for ventilation"
                sounds to me like the best idea.

                When's launchin day?

                Rick

                I am at an interesting stage with the Work Skiff.  Do I seal the bow and stern flotation compartments air tight; or allow for ventilation and drainage?

                Compartments are completely sealed with epoxy and can be filleted and glassed shut forever..  Or...I could add drainage holes as the compartments are also foam filled.  I was going to put the covers on with polysulfide sealant if that is the case.

                Opinions are never at a loss on this board.  Have at it.

                David Jost
                "celebrating the small nick on his index finger from the Makita planer. stupid but lucky man."

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • dnjost
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
                  Thanks Rick -

                  You talked me into it. With the flotation firmly packed in the stern areas and bow, I will now add the drainage holes. then coat all and wish for success.

                  Yes, I park it under trees, sometimes the boat cover fails, sometimes the rain water stands too long undetected. and if it should end up in a non-accessible area doom would shortly follow. Had much better luck when not around fresh water and was just a salty.

                  I am thinking launching next June, as my window of opportunity of weather and time is in that area. Although the project list is getting shorter each weekend.
                • dnjost
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
                    I will give up the space for the styrofoam. Peace of mind should I take a little too much water on board some day. A compartment that should be watertight that isn't would be a bad surprise at that time.
                  • Rick Bedard
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
                      David,

                      Well I guess you can now blame any future rot problem on me! lol

                      Have you moved away from salt water or do I remember wrong? I thought you were near Boston Harbor... My son and I really enjoyed a boat tour of the harbor islands when he was on his east coast college search... I thought that was where you hung out with your Micro and Diablo? Not sure if the harbor islands played a role, but he is now enjoying starving student life in Boston.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
                        I should have added that the Featherwind will be kept indoors, slung up against the garage trusses with just enough headroom for 5ft-10" bod to walk underneath. The two hatches are a good size -  500x250mm, and the covers will be left off when stored. It's quite warm under the garage roof even in winter.

[...]

                        Need mail bonding? Bring all your contacts to Yahoo!Xtra with TrueSwitch
                      • markh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009

                          Can one not soak all the unenclosed or enclosed areas with paintable preservative??

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 27, 2009
                            If there is a way for water to get in, it will find it.

                            Since the area is packed with foam, I am going for the free ventilating version. Sides are glassed where any permanent damage would be tragic, and the seat insides will be coated with epoxy and painted. Hoping this will work to slow the progression of rot. At least I can periodically inspect the area.

                            To answer Rick, I moved a bit aways from the salt and now spend a great deal of time on local lakes in Central MA. Narragansett Bay is closest body of salt to me now.

                            It is actually the non use that seems to hurt my boats the most.

                            David

                            > Can one not soak all the unenclosed or enclosed areas with paintable preservative??

                          • eric14850
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 28, 2009
                              I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I think there is a little too much paranoia about the ability to seal a boat. I plan on building Crystal or modifying Gypsy to be an all weather lifeboat dinghy. In any case sealed compartments. Hatches because I want storage, but I would be little concerned about not having hatches. I will be covering all parts in epoxy fiberglass. Water tanks and fuel tanks are sealed compartments in larger boats. Fiberglass and epoxy fillets are unlikely to be a problem before there are other obvious problems with a boat. I can think of nothing worse than a compartment sealed except for limber holes and filled with foam. At least make the limberhole face removable for maintenance. I used foam blocks cut and shaped to fit bow and stern. Covered them in cloth for sun protection and to keep foam bits from being a problem and tied them in place. Worked as floatation. Boat stored upside down allowed good air circulation to dry things out.
                              Eric

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 28, 2009
                                paranoia is where it's at !!!!!!!!!

                                doc :)