RE: [bolger] Re: Off topic /Tools that are needed

  • the doctor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
      I built my first boat in the front bedroom....  it was just a typical flat bottom pram.  I had a skill saw and a phillips screw driver.

      The next 3 were pirogue type boats... about 13' long and 28" wide,    I laid out a constant curve for the bottom using a long string staked down in the front yard.  Still had only a skil saw and a phillips screw driver !  I put 3" fiberglass on the chines of those.

      I owned a marina during the pirogue era,,, the neighborhood kids used them,,sometimes pretty hard,,, they had a life span of about 3 years.

      I also built a strip canoe about 10' long using 1/2" x 1" expanded polystyrene strips... I convered it with news paper and Gesso,,, then fiberglassed it...

      A small dam that I didn't know about on Brushy Creek claimed it.

      later,

      doc