Re: [bolger] Re: still need whale watcher info

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 3, 2009
      We used those photo's in designing the boat. Built it approximately in
      the same time out of very similar materials. Delivered the boat 22 days
      after delivery of very green rough cut wood for planking.

      Horses have never been used very successfully in AK. There was a horse
      trail over the summit from Skagway, different from the famous Golden
      Staircase the walkers came over. The horse trail was close in some
      places to the railroad, I believe there are still some bones from the
      3-4,000 horses that died there.

      Horses were used in central AK for packing during the time frame you are
      talking about. I may have read about some horse loggers up there too.
      The terrain is suitable in the hills from the Gates of the Arctic over
      to the Canadian border and up to the North Slope. The problem is graze,
      vegetation in AK is not really suitable for horses.

      HJ

      Adirondack Goodboat wrote:

      > This is another fascinating coincidence for me, Harry, because I was
      > just looking at the photos of a famous Gold Rush photographer online,
      > and was amazed to see these tent communities along the lake where a
      > boat is being built beside every tent. What a boatbuilding scene that
      > was! I'd never known that the miners got to Dawson by water. I'll have
      > to send you a copy of my little November novel, /Far Alaska/, in which
      > my central character, an old man who thinks he has "done the worse a
      > man can do" back East and therefore unfit for unfit to live among
      > civilized people, hits for the territories. He steals a coupled horses
      > on the way, and then sees these pictures in a museum in Whitehorse and
      > is shocked to discover that horses had no part in the Gold Rush. He's
      > a horse-oriented fella, not like us, and had associated the gold Rush
      > with the Wild West. think he'll find work for his team on the Trans
      > Alaska Pipeline? It's 1972 or so.

    • daschultz2000
      Message 50 of 50 , Dec 6, 2009
        Pretty much the same as in the other boats in the hull group, including MicroTrawler, Retriever, Hawkeye, even Fast Motor Sailer. It is easy to build, holds the bow up and, also does the things you suggest. I like the handle holes for beaching.

        Don