Re: [bolger] Re: Reply to Susan Alum welding

  • Doug Pollard
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
      Pierce Nichols wrote:

      > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Doug Jackson <svseeker@...
      > <mailto:svseeker@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Aluminum in a word is awesome. And it's doable for a novice (me)
      > even down to 1/8" sheet with $1K of MIG equipment. Here are the
      > lessons I've been taught:
      > http://www.submarineboat.com/welding_aluminum.htm
      > <http://www.submarineboat.com/welding_aluminum.htm>
      >

      > And of course you can sell the equipment when you are done building
      > the boat -- if you buy used and take care of it, you can probably
      > recoup most (if not all) of the money you spend on it.
      >

      > There is a rule about not mixing steel and aluminum tools so you
      > don't contaminate the aluminum with steel, but aluminium would
      > only gum up a regular grinding wheel. I have an aluminum grinding
      > disc, "Flexcel" on an old motor that works great for grinding.
      > AirGas sells them for $10 each, but they last a good while.
      >

      > No, it's worse than that. My understanding is that the bits of smeared
      > aluminum get down between the grains of s wheel meant for steel and
      > that when they heat up again, they can expand enough to fracture the
      > wheel. And that's just a bad day. Use the right tools for the job and
      > things will go better.
      >
      > -p

      It's funny I have been working in machine shops all my life and did not
      no that grinding aluminum on a grinder could cause it to blow up. I just
      thought you didn't do it because it clogged up the wheel, Never too old
      to learn something. It sure makes sense that somebody could get hurt
      that way.
      Doug
    • jdmeddock
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2009
        Aluminum granules + iron oxide granules + heat = Thermite!

        Maybe an unlikely outcome but one I will now have in the back of my mind every time I use our bench grinder at work. I am a mechanic and we have one grinder for everything that needs to be ground.

        Justin