Re: [bolger] Re: a Tortoise it will be, but what do I get for my $30?

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:32 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography
      <jon@...> wrote:

      > Good choice, but I suggest buying the book from Payson instead of the plans. I believe it's "Build The New Instant Boats" and will have the complete plans in it, but reduced to fit on the pages of the book. Tortoise is so simple, it's unlikely you'll need to use your scale rule on the plans sheets. Besides, you get plans for several other interesting boats as part of the book, building instructions and tips, and I believe it costs less than the plans to boot. I've built three boats from that book.

      I agree with Jon, building the Tortoise from the book is easy and
      possible. That said, if you are unsure, I recommend buying the plans
      and the book. As working with a true set of drawings, made to scale,
      allows you to use a "architect's scale ruler" to measure dimensions
      directly off the plans. This allows you to double check the
      dimensions of things which helps with accurate cutting. Though, if
      you feel that you have some confidence building in wood, don't worry
      and go for it, Tortoise is a pretty easy boat. Also worth mentioning,
      the Payson books, including the book "Build The New Instant Boats"
      also contain several chapters of helpful instructions on fundamental
      and basic boat building techniques, highly recommended reading.

      Take a look at the Amazon bookseller website, they have a "look
      inside the book" feature, go to page 87 and you can see the plans for
      Tortoise and read the chapter on Tortoise too...

      http://www.amazon.com/Build-Instant-Boats-Harold-Payson/dp/0071559663
    • prairiedog2332
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
        Dynamite's latest book (2007) "Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite
        Payson" has plans for Big Tortoise, Ruben's Nymph, as well as Auray Punt
        and a dozen other boats.

        I hear he was upset the way the book was edited by the publisher, but it
        is still a really great update to his earlier books.

        You can see the list of plans here:

        <http://www.instantboats.com/books.htm>

        Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
        <jon@...> wrote:

        > Greg,

      • gary
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
          Bruce is right on. Also, if you can find it, Tortoise plans are in Different Boats, which is what I built mine from (before the plans were available from Payson).

          It was my first boat, so it's easy to build them from the plans in a book, the only bevels on on the bottoms of the two transoms. But if you're planning to build future boats, it's nice to be familiar with how a full set of plans and instructions look, even for this simple boat.

          Gary

          > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:32 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography
          > <jon@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Good choice, but I suggest buying the book from Payson instead of the plans. I believe it's "Build The New Instant Boats" and will have the complete plans in it, but reduced to fit on the pages of the book. Tortoise is so simple, it's unlikely you'll need to use your scale rule on the plans sheets. Besides, you get plans for several other interesting boats as part of the book, building instructions and tips, and I believe it costs less than the plans to boot. I've built three boats from that book.
          >
          > I agree with Jon, building the Tortoise from the book is easy and
          > possible. That said, if you are unsure, I recommend buying the plans
          > and the book. As working with a true set of drawings, made to scale,
          > allows you to use a "architect's scale ruler" to measure dimensions
          > directly off the plans. This allows you to double check the
          > dimensions of things which helps with accurate cutting. Though, if
          > you feel that you have some confidence building in wood, don't worry
          > and go for it, Tortoise is a pretty easy boat. Also worth mentioning,
          > the Payson books, including the book "Build The New Instant Boats"
          > also contain several chapters of helpful instructions on fundamental
          > and basic boat building techniques, highly recommended reading.
          >
          > Take a look at the Amazon bookseller website, they have a "look
          > inside the book" feature, go to page 87 and you can see the plans for
          > Tortoise and read the chapter on Tortoise too...
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/Build-Instant-Boats-Harold-Payson/dp/0071559663

        • Mike John
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
            There is also a big Tortoise plan in the most recent Payson book. It is 8' LOA.

            Mike John

            --
            Mike John

            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/indexes.htm
          • prairiedog2332
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
              In the book Dynamite gives the carrying capacity for Rubens Nymph at 690 lb "with plenty of freeboard to spare."

              But does not give it for Big Tortoise though he describes its service as being "a load-carrying tender."

              Rubens "will offer a safer, more comfortable ride if there is any kind of chop or swell" and BT is "more of a pond boat."

              Nels

            • captreed@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                > Well it's going to be the Tortoise for me.

                I have a big Tortoise and at 6' tall the 3' beam is a bit cramped. You can just make it 4' wide and get a lot more comfort.

                Reed
              • prairiedog2332
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                  I see on the plans sheet that with a 344 lb load the stern transom just
                  clears the water surface. So with a 4 ft. beam it should hold 400+
                  easily maybe? Maybe a bit more effort to row though?

                  Would require another bit of plywood for the end decks then, or just
                  leave them off?

                  Nels

                • captreed@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                    > clears the water surface. So with a 4 ft. beam it should hold 400+
                    > easily maybe? Maybe a bit more effort to row though?
                    >
                    > Would require another bit of plywood for the end decks then, or just
                    > leave them off?

                    Hi Nels,

                    For my original Brick I chose 8' oars and it rowed just fine.

                    I would still have end decks as a good place to put some foam flotation under.

                    Reed
                  • daschultz2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Hmmm. And one is Diablo Grande. That is also a good buy. I think with such well proven stitch and glue designs that building from the books is a very reasonable risk. Most of these designs have been around 20 years and many have been built. There really can't be any problems of significance in the drawings. There are likely dozens of boats built we will never hear of in the Yahoo Group.

                      I've got the Work/Clam Skiff plans in Bolger's "Boats with an Open Mind". The print quality is so good in the book, one could build from it with no problems despite the small format compared to the Payson book. There are certainly plan pages missing from some designs in BWAOM, so I wouldn't try to build Samuel Clyde from the book. But Payson's books are intended to be used for building.

                      I've got "...New Instant Boats". Also included in the text is a 'how to' section on sailing which includes standard terminology for all the maneuvers. You can teach yourself to sail from it AND learn all the standard terms for what you're learning thus comm' with other sailors effectively.

                      Don Schultz

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

                      > Dynamite's latest book (2007) "Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite
                      > Payson" has plans for Big Tortoise, Ruben's Nymph, as well as Auray Punt
                      > and a dozen other boats..........
                    • daschultz2000
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                        Yeah I don't disagree w' R's Nymph being more capable, but several PD Racers completed the Texas 200 this year. Doesn't make Tortoise a coastal cruiser exactly, but he Gulf of Mexico is quite a big pond. ;-)

                        Don