Re: [bolger] Whalewatcher question

  • mason smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2009
      I don't know what the plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass might cost but it could easily be calculated, as could the cost of sails, spars, hardware and lines. I can only say that in finishing Tim Anderson's nice hull (and repairing some damage from rot), and completing and finishing the spars from George Anger's hull, making a rudder and all the mizzenmast and rudder mounting parts, getting a canvas cover made and making a knock-down framework for it, wiring, supplying and mounting all hardware and lines and rigging, plumbing the ballast tanks, etc., etc, I ran up quite a bill for Pat Connor, the patient customer. I'm guessing that it would be $40,000 or more to have someone build and rig another Whalewatcher. Maybe considerably less in Maine where many a better boatbuilder works for less than I do, and many are idle these days.